Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Runs Very Slow

• Please log in to reply

Jim4825

Jim4825

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have a compaq presario computer with Windows 2000 upstairs in my daughter's room. I have my computer (same type) downstairs. I am connected to a cable modem using a Linksys Router which is on the other side of the room. I have a Linksys Wireless-B adapter on my computer as well as my daughter's. Over the last week, when she has tried to go on the internet using Internet Explorer, the response time is very slow. She sometimes gets the message "This page cannot be displayed". The Wireless Connnector icon says that her signal strength is "excellent". I know my own computer downstairs will lag at times, too.

I think she might have something affecting her computer, like a virus. Any suggestions on what to do. And also what might be causing my computer to something lag in getting a response when selecting a website?

Thanks.
Jim

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

If you suspect a virus or malware of some sort, please go to the malware (<-- Click here) forum in my signature and follow the instructions on .This Link

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in the Malware Forum!!

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread

Murray

Jim4825

Jim4825

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I clicked on your link and there are a couple of spyware removal links along with other forum topics on the page. Was your recommendation to download the spyware software or review the forum topics to help me with my problem. Sorry for my ignorance, I just want to be sure I am following your instructions correctly to try to fix my problem. Thanks again for your assistance.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
My intentiones were to have you follow the directions, which include downloading and running whatever is given there for you to run, of that link or I would not have sent you there.. :tazz:

Murray