Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98

• Please log in to reply

t-man

t-man

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I have a Windows 98 computer that I have been trying to connect to my network with two other windows xp computers. My windows 98 computer will neither connect to the internet or view any computers on the network. Neither of my windows xp computers can view the windows 98 computer. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
Thanks,
T-Man

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What have you done so far to try and get the 98 machine on the network? Is it wired or wireless?

t-man

t-man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
My windows 98 computer is connected to the router by an eithernet cable, but the other two computers are wireless. I have tried plugging the computer into different ports and even strait into the modem. I have tried the windows repair which never seems to work. I am out of ideas.
Thanks,
T-Man

Edited by t-man, 01 January 2006 - 10:35 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
On the 98 machine, go to the Start Menu -> Run.

Type in "winipcfg" (no quotes) and press Enter. This'll tell you if the system is talking to the router. If you see an IP address that starts 169.x.x.x then that computer is not talking to your router.

But if you see a 10.x or a 192.168.x.x address, that's a good sign.

t-man

t-man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
It shows that my IP address is 169.254.25.219. How would I make them communicate?
Thanks,
T-Man

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
A 169.x.x.x address means that Windows 98 has tried to get an IP adress from your router, an IP address that never came. Therefore it times out and assigns a random 169.x.x.x address.

How is your router set up to give IP addresses? Is it set to DHCP? If so and the other two computers are working, there's an issue with that 98 setup. If your router is not set up for DHCP, you need to give the Win98 machine an IP address for your network; by default it looks for something on the network to give it an address.

This can be done by going into the Network -> TCP/IP Properties section and there should IIRC be an IP address section. Try feeding it a static IP address in the range of the other two computers (10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x).

t-man

t-man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
My router is set to DHCP but I still cannot figure out how to configure the windows 98 computer. Have any other ideas?
Thanks,
T-Man