Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost All Files

• Please log in to reply

ariesgirly

ariesgirly

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
:) OK, well my New Years Eve was great! My computer froze, so I turned the power on & off hoping to get it to restart. Then when I turned it back on, it would not let me log on to my administrator & it said that my files may have been corrupted. Then it would not let me log on with my name. It was like the entire computer was started fresh without any of my personal files. Everything in my C drive is gone....all documents, pictures, memories!!!!! Is it anywhere on my computer stored somewhere? Thank you in advance! :tazz:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Can you get into safe mode? Press F8 while the system is booting up. You could try doing a system restore. From windows help: To run System Restore in safe mode
Access System Restore through Help and Support.
Follow the instructions on your screen.
Notes

To access the System Restore Wizard, click Start, and then click Help and Support. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Using System Restore to undo changes, and then click Run the System Restore Wizard.
While the computer is in safe mode, System Restore does not create any restore points. Therefore, you cannot undo a restoration that you performed when the computer was in safe mode.
You can use System Restore to restore your computer to any restore point while in safe mode. If you cannot start the computer in standard mode, you can use System Restore to restore to a time when you could start the computer without errors.
To restore to a time when your computer started without errors, select a restore point as close to the time you remember it last started without errors.
If System Restore is suspended because of insufficient disk space, you cannot enable it by making more disk space available while in safe mode. You must restart the computer in standard mode and make more disk space available.

ariesgirly

ariesgirly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok, I got into safe mode, but I have Windows 2000, so the choices you listed above might be different. Can you help with Windows 2000? Thank you. :tazz:

Edited by ariesgirly, 01 January 2006 - 08:48 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi ariesgirly...

Try booting to Safe Mode, but at the "Options Screen", choose "Last known good configuration" and see if it will boot to Normal Mode.

You might also look at the information available HERE

wannabe1.

ariesgirly

ariesgirly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Is there any way to recover emails lost in Outlook? I am missing my entire email address in Outlook.
I did recover all C drive folders, but I am also missing Real Player & the stored songs. Thank you :tazz:

ariesgirly

ariesgirly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Help! I cannot find any Outlook files...actually my entire email address on Outlook is gone. I need this for my business tomorrow. :tazz:

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Use google and look for some tools to help
http://www.google.co...ery&btnG=Search
set up your own search if this one doen't find what you need. There are some tools out there, some you have to buy, some free. I remember once I changed my user account, and all my outlook express emails disappeared. I was able to find a free utility and/or instructions that enabled me to get them back. I was able to do that by taking the initiative and looking for the answer. No doubt, it happened to you and you can bet it has happened to others. The answer is out there.

ariesgirly

ariesgirly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok, I just thought that someone here would know what to do. Thank anyway :tazz:

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
I don't use outlook, so I don't recall the name of the file, but outlook uses a single file for all the information. Since you lost your login, I suspect that the file is still there, but not associated with your login now.

One way to find the file is to create a message with a know string in it and then search for it. Once you find it, search for other files with the same or similar names. Then move the existing file and copy (not rename) the other file. The reason you want to copy it is if something happens, you want to still have the original file untouched.