Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video playback trouble: blank but not a codec problem.

• Please log in to reply

bocian

bocian

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This happened to me before, about a year ago on my desktop (which has an Intel graphics card and runs Win2k3) and was resolved as "magically" as it started. Now it's happening on the laptop and I'd rather not just wait it out.

It doesn't matter what video file I use (.mov, .mpg, .avi, .wmv . . .) or what player (wmplayer, Windows Media, Zoom, BS, Quicktime), or if the video is embedded in a web browser. When I open a video file, the sound begins but I get a blank window where the movie should be. Looking at the processor usage, I know that the video is being processed, it just isn't being displayed. However, when I have two videos opened at the same time, whichever started second displays properly. Likewise, when I hook my laptop up to a TV or second monitor, the video plays normally on the secondary display even though it's still blank on my primary display. It hasn't stopped me from enjoying media, it just adds an awkward step of opening a different video first, pausing it (not stopping it) then opening whatever I actually wanted to watch.

If it were a codec problem, hardware problem, or software player problem, I'd never get the video to play regardless of dual monitor or having two players open. It must be something in my OS settings (Windows XP), but I have no clue what it is and don't recall changing anything at the time it stopped working. It seems to be an effect without cause. To complicate matters, my ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 IGP graphic card comes with its own software to adjust settings on top of the built in Windows display settings.

I shall be very grateful for any help anyone can give me. I'd even be grateful for some commiseration. Has anyone else had this problem? I've been searching and can't find any mention of similar problems anywhere.

Edited by bocian, 01 January 2006 - 01:40 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
That last bit sounds like an overlay problem, which is part of the driver install.

Have you updated the drivers? Or, barring that, get drivercleanerpro

http://www.drivercleaner.net/,

clean out the drivers, then reinstall

WARNING--MY EXPERIENCE with the 9000 igp series has been pretty dicey. Make certain that the drivers you use are from the manufacturer of the system, not drivers from a third party.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I should note: run driver cleaner in safe mode, then reboot into windows. cancel any install new hardware wizard, then reinstall the driver from the OEM