Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Samsung CD-RW drive not recognized

• Please log in to reply

Ginny Weasley

Ginny Weasley

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I bought a Samsung CD-RW drive about two years ago and it was working fine until about a month ago when my computer made a strange noise for about five minutes and my CD-RW drive died. (I didn't find out my drive had died until a few days later, but I'm sure it had something to do with the computer making that noise.) My Documents no longer lists drive E. I've tried using Device Manager to scan my computer for new hardware after opening up my computer and making sure that the power cable and the IDE cable aren't loose. The Device Manager Wizard always says that no new hardware has been detected. Nothing else has been affected--I have an older DVD-ROM drive set on MASTER and it's still working just fine. The disc tray of the Samsung drive slides out, so I know the power cable connected to the drive is fine. I'm currently running Windows 2000 on a machine with 256 MB RAM and 30 GB memory (pretty old).

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. So, you do not see the drive in windows explorer. Does it show up in device manager? Is there a yellow ! on it in device manager? This is a fix from M$, and although it says in the document that it applies to WXP, I am aware that it has worked for folks with W2K as well.

You could try this fix from M$: http://support.micro...om/?kbid=320553 upper and lower filters, drive not found.

Ginny Weasley

Ginny Weasley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The drive doesn't show up in Device Manager--that's why I opened up the computer and replugged all the cables in hopes that my computer would recognize the drive as new hardware again. I tried Microsoft's steps, but they didn't help. Drive E is still not listed in My Computer.

I've even tried downloading new firmware from Samsung, but the firmware update program doesn't list my drive on the drop-down menu of drives installed on my computer. Any tips for re-installing the drive itself? I think I might not have done it correctly the first time around.

Edited by Ginny Weasley, 02 January 2006 - 06:31 PM.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You could try swapping the two drives around (change the jumpers on each!) and see if that changes anything. If the older one works on the slave connection, it is not the EIDE cable. You said the drive made a strange noise before it quit. Maybe it just died.