Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't play .avi files anymore

• Please log in to reply

nick1127

nick1127

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I downloaded a video in avi format yesterday and I converted it to DVD format so I could burn it.. And that's all fine and all, conversion worked. But now today for some reason when I try to play any .avi file I have it won't play, but .mpg's and wmv's will. Anyone have any suggestions? This forum has done wonders for my computer in the past.

Advertisements

modernsavage

modernsavage

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 51 posts
Download a copy of Media Player Classic and see if it plays your AVI file. It's smaller than Windows Media Player and I find it plays movie files better. You might also want to try installing the latest DIVX drivers and player http://www.divx.com/divx/play/

nick1127

nick1127

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I already use Media Player Classic.

Once I click the avi file it opens the player then says "Media player class has encountered a problem and needs to close"

nick1127

nick1127

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I just reinstalled K Lite Codec pack (which was what I had) and now I can play them again. thank the baby jesus

That's all for now then comrades in computer fixing.. I'll surely be back whenever my computer endeavors lead me into trouble.

Edited by nick1127, 02 January 2006 - 02:59 PM.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
just download vlc, it plays everything. no need for extra codecs and its free

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

modernsavage

modernsavage

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 51 posts

just download vlc, it plays everything. no need for extra codecs and its free

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

That vlc is good. It can't play wmv files which require a license from the internet but then neither can Media Player Classic. Also when you the position the tracker bar the image distorts for a second but other than that it very good.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its quite good but i prefer using winamp for all my needs ive never had a bother with it unlike the rest which always wanted for some kind of tweaking or codec.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

That vlc is good. It can't play wmv files which require a license from the internet but then neither can Media Player Classic.

um.. I'm pretty sure you can play wmv files on media player classic.

modernsavage

modernsavage

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 51 posts

um.. I'm pretty sure you can play wmv files on media player classic.

You can play wmv files but not the ones which require a license. It doesn't prompt to retrieve the license like the Microsoft Windows Media Player.

wyahwasp

wyahwasp

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Under the normal circumstance, WMP can play AVI files. However, if the AVI files are corrupt or with the video codec that cannot be recognized by Windows Media Player, you will fail to open let alone to play AVI files in Windows Media Player.

I know a good AVI to Windows Media Player Converter. This nice Windows Media Player AVI Converter enables to convert the unplayable AVI files to Windows Media Player supported WMV, ASF, MP4, MPG, AVI and more. With the nice AVI Windows Media Player Converter, it is so easy to play all kinds of AVI files on WMP. In addition, Total Video Converter can convert among more than 150 video and audio formats in batch with HD or 4K video quality and extremely fast speed. Find it here: