Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slave Drive CPU Usage Problem

• Please log in to reply

Sinfamous

Sinfamous

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
This has been an ongoing problem for a long time with me. It used to be with my main Hard Drive, where every once in a while, not sure why, but the CPU usage will start spiking to 100% when I access an application, media files seem choppy and slow sounding, decompressing zip and rar files takes almost 3 times as long as normal, etc. I used to do a System restore, and this would fix it. Then a month later it would happen again. Then I found a DELL fix that fixes it, and the problem eventually still persisted. I have taken all the spyware precautions, and still have found no cure.

Recently I installed a secondary Hard Drive, having both set to Cable Select. Now the problem only seems to happen on the secondary Hard Drive. I tried accessing a media file from my F: drive (secondary), and it seemed choppy, skips, and sometimes slow motion like. Then I tried accessing the same media file on C: drive (primary), and the file played perfectly.

If anyone could shed light on what would be causing this, I would be greatly appreciate it. This problem has plagued me since I purchased my DELL. Thanks.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Not a huge fan of cable select (which incidently, requires a special cable to work properly).

Are the two drives on the same controller?

Moving the second drive to a different controller will help.

Is the 2nd drive a large drive? Do you have LBA enabled on this drive in BIOS? If it is a very large drive, you may need a regeistry patch from your drive manufacturer.

Sinfamous

Sinfamous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
The second drive is not on the same controller. The main drive is an 80gig, and the second a 40gig. Im not sure of LBA is enabled. All I did was plug and play. How do I enable LBA on the new drive?