Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dvd ripping

• Please log in to reply

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
i was wondering is it illegal to rip a dvd onto ur computer (i want to know because i want to put dvds on my ipod) i didnt think it was but im just checking. if it's not illegal can any1 tell me how to rip a dvd and make it into a .mpg or .avi file??

looie

Advertisements

Agentx2

Agentx2

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
get dvd shrink and dvd decrypter.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its legal for your own personal use to make backups of any film that you have on dvd. Although that depends on where you live.

Edited by warriorscot, 02 January 2006 - 01:57 PM.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
oh well i just want to watch em on my ipod

another thing wen i tried to ip a dvd it sed there was no .iso file on there???

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Its legal for your own personal use to make backups of any film that you have on dvd. Although that depends on where you live.

Ripping DVDs has become such a task, DVD Shrink doesn't even work on most of the DVDs that I buy anymore. Spider-man 2 won't rip, nor will Star Wars Ep III.

It's funny - it can be completely legal, but they still make it extremely difficult. However US Legislation belongs in a different forum :tazz:.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Whos talking about us legislation this is an international forum in some countries its illegal to own a CD or DVD burner as you can use it to burn copyrighted material.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Whos talking about us legislation this is an international forum in some countries its illegal to own a CD or DVD burner as you can use it to burn copyrighted material.

thats a bit too far i think

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
btw if i own the dvd and i download it already ripped technically that isnt illegal is it?

Agentx2

Agentx2

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
yes. partially on your part and in theres. b/c everything you do on the net , download, update and so on is being monitered by the government. aka patriot act.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
thats invasion of privacy, it isnt right

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Patriot act is only for yanks. Most other places its an invasion of privacy and is illegal for a government to monitor without good reason and when they do nothing is useable unless its a related to terrorism or or the traffic of illicit images.