Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

agp video card doesn't work

• Please log in to reply

donr53

donr53

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. My pci video might be giving me some trouble even thou it still works, so I want to switch over to agp video card. took out old card and put new one in right slot. Instruction say when desktop comes up install drivers. Desktop doesn't come up, nothing. shut her down and put old pci card in and it works. I swapped it out to my wifes computer( which has a agp card ) and it comes up in safe mode until I installed the drivers. I put my wifes agp card in my computer and I get nothing. Is there something in setup or some place that needs to be turned on???? I been into setup to look around only and can't find anything that I could reconize. I have xp pro, 450 speed , 512 memory. Let me know what more information you need. If it is something that needs to be turned on, I'll need instructions.

thanks again donr53

Advertisements

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
What's your motherboard make and model? If it isn't a intel chipset then you need to install a virtual GART drive to make it compatible with the standard AGP cards.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Have you checked to see if AGP has been enabled in the BIOS? Sometimes this setting has to be changed when a PCI card was used and later a agp card was swapped in.

SRX660

donr53

donr53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
thanks gladiator I've looked up the information. motherboard is soyo sy-5ema+v1.0/v1.1 super 7
the processor is AMD-K6 3d processor. You'll have to explain what virtual GART drive is, and where to get it and what to do with it Thanks donr53

donr53

donr53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
hi srx660 Thanks I've been in bios looking around, but don't know exactly where to find it can you steer me to it. Thanks donr53

donr53

donr53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thanks people I've solved the problem while I had the book out for the motherboard I looked at the troubleshooting section. with that motherboard it is real hard to get the agp card seated just right. You almost thought that you were going to crack something. However the new card didn't solve the problem I was trying to fix.
THAT being when I put in a dvd movie , the movie is all jerky and the sound is all broken up, as if everything was running to fast or slow and would not run smoothly. I'd appreciate any help. it's the same with short video clips off the internet also. almost like a setting got changed. Thanks donr53

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
lmao donr53
I feel ur pain, i started on this forum because of the same problem. It's such a pain in the butt... my problems were jerky audio and video it could very well be a software issue, i found out that quicktime was one of the culprits and the issues got less concerning. Go the windows xp forum and search jumpy audio and video http://www.geekstogo...=88588&hl=audio
follow those steps and clean out all the software issues.
how much RAM do you have? and how much virtual memory do you have?
It could also be a codec problem.... but fixing those might be tough.
If all else fails you can do a fresh install of windows and if that doesn't fix the problem than you know it is a hardware issue.
You said that it was only DVD movies and Internet Videos?
What about vids on the Hard Drive?
The dvd movie could be because the DMA on ur DVD drive isn't enabled or your processor can't handle it, what kind of internet connection do you have?

donr53

donr53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
thanks gladiator I've done everything you suggested except for the codec What are they and where do I go to find then . That may be where my problem is. Then I'll ask how to check it out Thanks donr53

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
well that's the tricky part..... codecs can be checked by certain codec checkers
http://www.xpmaximiz...er-utility.html
they can tell you if any codecs are busted.