Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I hide my IP address?

• Please log in to reply

Fa2005

Fa2005

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
I just wanted to know if there is a way for me to hide my IP address maybe by configuring my Firewall or some patch. I’m afraid because some security tests I’ve done to my system are stating that my IP is exposed to every one in the web.

I might sound paranoiac but I’m not an expert and I read a lot about all this security theats.
Thanks...

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Your IP address is given to you by your ISP. Therefore if you don't have an IP address you're not online.

Anyway in a world where just over 1 billion people could be potentially connected to the internet, you're more likely to win the Lottery than ever suffer any real damage from an outside source.

Just keep your firewall updated and running and you'll be fine. Most damage to systems comes from the user anyway by their opening unsolicted attachments and what not. Common sense should prevail. Prevention is better than cure.

Agentx2

Agentx2

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
what kind of connection are you running- dsl, dial-up, cable? and do u have a router?

Edited by Agentx2, 02 January 2006 - 07:43 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Just get yourself a good AV like avast or nod 32 and get zonealarm. Most of the threats to peoples computers are based around some action from the user. And there isnt many viruses that will cause damage to anything except data and all you need to do to protect that is to keep backups.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Just get yourself a good AV like avast or nod 32 and get zonealarm. Most of the threats to peoples computers are based around some action from the user. And there isnt many viruses that will cause damage to anything except data and all you need to do to protect that is to keep backups.

Agentx2

Agentx2

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
woah double post with same text.