Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer takes 99% of my CPU. please help!

• Please log in to reply

Squeaky89

Squeaky89

• Pip
  • 2 posts
A lady in need here. I was downloading some movies ( i know, bad bad!) with limewire. I got plenty of files, amongst others Mr and mrs smith. I guess i got a bit sloppy and impatient cause i didnt check the file too much and im not sure of the format, and now i cant check it either.
As soon as i try to open my music and movie storage, my computer hangs and wont react. The task manager says that explorer steals 99% of my CPU. This lasts till i close the folder i keep my files in ( which takes a lot of work cause it refuses to obey). I figured the problem had to be one of my newer downloads and checked them all. I deleted all of them except "mr and mrs smith." If i try to right click, nothing happens at all. If i try to open it, it says that the file is damaged or is a format i cant open. And if i try to delete it , it says that the file is used by another program and that i need to close all programs before trying again. This also happens when I have nothing else open. It doesnt help to disconnect from the internet either.
Does anyknow know what this might be, or how I can delete the file?

in advance, thanks for all help.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Squeaky89...

Give Move on Boot a try to remove the stubborn file.

wannabe1

Squeaky89

Squeaky89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I installed the program, told it to delete the file, restarted and poof.. gone. everything works fine

I could kiss you right now! and im a lesbian so thats says alot :tazz: thanks!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad to help, Squeaky89... :tazz:

wannabe1