Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fan question

• Please log in to reply

Querra

Querra

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi there, i recently noticed that my cpu temperature was above 70-71 C and i decided to connect an old cpu fan into a free slot of my motherboard, well, i connected it and it works fine but i wonder, can fans be connected to any 3 pin slot of a motherboard? or is there any special slot for them?

I'm waiting for your answers, thanks in advance :tazz:

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Fan Connections-
3rd Jan 2006

What is your CPU Temperature measuring now – 71°C is way too high – How old is PC – Probably has [Dust Clogging] – CPU [Heat Sink/Fan Assembly] – That needs a good cleaning – for [Efficient Cooling] -

[CPU Fan] – should be connected to [CPU FAN] Connector on [Motherboard] –

[Chassis Fan] – should be connected to [Chassis FAN] Connector on [Motherboard] –

[Power Supply Fan] usually is [Internally Connected] & Internally – [Self Controlled] – by the Power Supply, itself –

Generally if you add additional fans – you can connect that fan to the Motherboard – [Power Fan] Connector –

You can connect the fans directly to a 12 Volt –[4 Pin] ATX Power Connector – This will keep fan at full speed all the time & you will not to be able to monitor the Fan Speed – but why waste these connectors – when you have 3 that you can use on the Motherboard – And if you decide to use them – then you may as well connect them to correct fan to keep monitoring correct – Because –

The monitoring system is a [Diagnostic Tool], that can be used whenever you have a problem – But if you do not have it connected properly now –It will not be of any use/value to you – whenever you would need its service later –

Then again –

You can measure the efficiency of CPU & Motherboard by – Measuring Temperature & what [Fan Speed] is required to keep in [Normal Temperature] & monitoring [CPU Performance] with [Task Manager] – Increased Fan Speeds would be an early indication of – Possible CPU problem – and take corrective/preventative action earlier –

Another use/purpose of the speed control connectors – is to keep the [Fan Noise Level] down – by operating the fans at lower speeds when maximum cooling is not required – And probably increases the [Fan Life] –

Jack123