Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Peculiarity in Auto Start-up

• Please log in to reply

Learnatic

Learnatic

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hi all,
Getting in an early post incase it's a common event.
My mates XP SP2 Home of about three months old starts up in th emorning. He leaves his speakers on and hears it oftenly in the wee hours and looks st his clock-radio and keeps saying " well blow me down, 5:05 again".
Is there an easy admin tool to look at for this? I will be HJT on it tomorrow if I get time and posting that.
Cheeers and have a happy new year one and all !!!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Has he got a scheduled task with permission to wake the PC to run

Learnatic

Learnatic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Thanks Keith for the fast reply.
I don't know if he has scheduled task with permission to wake installed/ enabled. I will have a look tomorrow when I pop around to his place.
I will look for "Scheduled Tasks" and "Permission to wake" hey?
Cheers,
Max.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Some of them can do this, so worth checking that, and also look for wake on LAN in BIOS settings to check if his phone rings the PC doesn't go on, this is for if you are away and want to turn the PC on to get files from it

Learnatic

Learnatic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Oh wow Keith !! He mentioned that he sometimes uses the phone and hears it start up.
Hmmm will have a look in BIOS as well. A dearth of knowledge.
I looked on my putey and found the "Scheduled Tasks" and know where to inspect for his machine.
Must go to sleep now as have had many late nights including the Monday when it was 104deg F at 10:00PM.
Will log in at me mates place
Cheerio.

Learnatic

Learnatic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Just a quick update. Have made adjustments to mates putey and waiting for a few days to see if they work.
It appears the company he purchased it from had it to turn on autimatically as it was in the window with a lot of others and it saved the salesman switching each and every putey on every day.
Will keep posted.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for the update

Learnatic

Learnatic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Keith et al, thanks for thoughts and the device is fixed up. The OS was installed by the retailer and when returned, the BIOS was appropriately altered to prevent the problem... I was a tad feared of fiddling wi' another persons BIOS..
Cheers.