Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

megaRAID

• Please log in to reply

bongsaber69

bongsaber69

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
whats megaRAID? how do i use it? ive seem to have deleted all my data because of it. i dont care though because the computer was given to me but now i have to install an operating system but the cdrom wont read during boot. i have the INSERT BOOT DISK, PRESS ENTER type error. i go into megaRAID and have NO idea what im supposed to do, i havent touched anything on it yet, but ive looked at it. what do i do to get my HD's going and have an operating system?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
megaraid is a harddrive controller that allows you to configure two harddrives and make them appear as 1 to improve read and write times.

Given the information you have supplied, it almost sounds like one drive died and your RAID is broken. We would need much more information than you have provided to advise

Motherboard make and model, number of drives in the system....where'd this machine come from?

Generally speaking, you create the raid through the controller (does it recognize more than one drive), then install Windows. When you install WIndows, you need to load a special driver right at the beginning from a floppy disk.

bongsaber69

bongsaber69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

megaraid is a harddrive controller that allows you to configure two harddrives and make them appear as 1 to improve read and write times.

Given the information you have supplied, it almost sounds like one drive died and your RAID is broken. We would need much more information than you have provided to advise

Motherboard make and model, number of drives in the system....where'd this machine come from?

Generally speaking, you create the raid through the controller (does it recognize more than one drive), then install Windows. When you install WIndows, you need to load a special driver right at the beginning from a floppy disk.

how can i check to see if my HD's are dead??
do you know how i can get rid of megaRAID or should i keep it?
MegaRAID does find both my HD's
ive checked the web and it says megaRAID is a card, but i dont have a megaRAID card?
my computer came from a friend, and he screwed it up alot and never used it for a year, so he gave it to me, im trying to fix it so i can use it because it seems to be a pretty good computer.
my mother board is "Iwill ka266 R" and i have 2 hardrives

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If the controller recognizes them, I would say they may be ok

You need to determine what controller you have. Remove it from the PC, it is pluggedinto a brown pci slot, and look for a model number

Download the driver here:
http://www.lsilogic....lectDownload.do

Make a driver disk

Begin the install of windows xp (I assume), press f6, insert your floppy, then install will continue as normal.

bongsaber69

bongsaber69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

If the controller recognizes them, I would say they may be ok

You need to determine what controller you have. Remove it from the PC, it is pluggedinto a brown pci slot, and look for a model number

Download the driver here:
http://www.lsilogic....lectDownload.do

Make a driver disk

Begin the install of windows xp (I assume), press f6, insert your floppy, then install will continue as normal.

sorry for these stupid questions but im not really good at this
well the only cards i have in my computer is my sound card and graphic, but i still have megaRAID
what driver am i looking for?
how do i make a driver disk?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if you do not have a megaraid controller card, it must be integrated on the motherboard (wonder what mobo that is....never ran into a megaraid controller on a motherboard).

You need to identify the controller so you can pick the right driver...it may be identified in the screen you accessed...it will be something like megaraid express, or megaraid ata 133-2...something

You then download the driver, extract the contents to a floppy drive so that textsetup.oem is in the root along with a couple other files and then four folders (each with files in them)

When you boot with a windows xp cd, it will at the beginning say PRESS f6 if you need 3rd party controllers....hit f6....wait until windows installs some more files, then it will ask you for the floppy disk

bongsaber69

bongsaber69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

if you do not have a megaraid controller card, it must be integrated on the motherboard (wonder what mobo that is....never ran into a megaraid controller on a motherboard).
You need to identify the controller so you can pick the right driver...it may be identified in the screen you accessed...it will be something like megaraid express, or megaraid ata 133-2...something

You then download the driver, extract the contents to a floppy drive so that textsetup.oem is in the root along with a couple other files and then four folders (each with files in them)

When you boot with a windows xp cd, it will at the beginning say PRESS f6 if you need 3rd party controllers....hit f6....wait until windows installs some more files, then it will ask you for the floppy disk

my cdrom wont read cds?? its skips it on boot, i have it as first boot on my bios, but no luck.