Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Call of Duty Multiplayer problem

• Please log in to reply

lix_runewielder_xil

lix_runewielder_xil

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My call of duty multiplayer was working fine until about a week ago. When I would start it up, a window would pop up saying that "CoDMP.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry for the inconvenience." It would happen every single time i tried to start it up. I tried to play single player and it worked! please help! BTW: I already tried reinstalling the whole program, and also ran Spybot:Search& Destroy and McAfee Virus Scan. :tazz:

Edited by lix_runewielder_xil, 05 January 2006 - 04:29 PM.

Advertisements

curlyfry562

curlyfry562

• Pip
  • 5 posts
have the same problem can you email me if you find out how to fix it

{edited email address out to protect member from receiving SPAM}

Thanks

Edited by coachwife6, 19 January 2006 - 04:15 AM.

lix_runewielder_xil

lix_runewielder_xil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ya sure. If anyone please knows, post it. thx

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello to both of you and welcome to G2G!

First of all look in the system and applications logs for any errors that occur around the time of the game crashing.
Shutdown all unnecessary background tasks, update hardware drivers and install latest patches.

What are your PC specs?

lix_runewielder_xil

lix_runewielder_xil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
here are my system specs:

Windows XP Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Dell DIMENSION DIM2400
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.53 GHz
2.52 GHz, 265 MB of RAM

I cant find any errors... maybe I'm not looking correctly? Can you tell me where to look?
:tazz:

lix_runewielder_xil

lix_runewielder_xil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It was easy to fix the problem. :)

First, leave your computer on and don't do anything at all for about 3 minutes. Then, after writing down what time the computer says it is, start up CoD Multiplayer (Call of Duty Multiplayer). After the error appears, make sure the program closes completely and write down the time again. After waing for the time on the computer to change, go to the next step. You do all this so you know that all the programs that were active during this time are related to CoD Multiplayer.
Now all you have to do is go to the start menu and click search. Then click "all files and folders". Do not type in a name for the search, but under the question "When was it modified, click "specify dates" and make sure it has today's date in both boxes. Click search and wait for it fo finish.
All the results appear should also include a date and time in the "last modified on" column. All the programs that were last modified within the times that you ran CoD are the ones related to it. Delete all these programs, and make sure that one of the ones you delete is CoDMP.exe.
After this, start a new search, and this time, search for anything named "Cookies". Delete everything in the cookies folders. Then close the window, and delete the CoD folder in your programs and all the shortcuts of CoD you have. Next, go to the Control Panel and click "Add or Remove Programs". Find Call of Duty in the list and remove it.
Finally, close the window and re-install Call of Duty.

It should work now! :tazz:

Adarsh Saheba

lix_runewielder_xil

lix_runewielder_xil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
what would also prevent this from ever happening is this:

search your computer for "codmp.exe"
after you find it, right-click and select "properties"
check-mark the box which says "read-only", and click "apply"
if a window pops up, click "ignore"