Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

frontpage newbie help

• Please log in to reply

higby88

higby88

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I am fairly new to web design with frontpage. my site has 10 pages, but I need to know how to make a change to the main home page and it can apply itself to all of the pages with the same design. I am guessing it has to be based on a template, but how do you save the pages without saving them as a template.

And also with Flash, what format do you ahve to save it in for it to work with your site. Thanks

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Hi Welcome to geeks to go, for your first question, CSS of some kind of syle sheet is the awser to your question. inorder to make a change to the entire site to multible pages sylesheets save you a lot of time. in frontpage i am not aware of any feature that can do what you are asking.

for your second question, .SWF flash files are usaly saved generically as .fla but .swf is the most commonly used flash format on the internet,

Magosis

Magosis

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 190 posts
if frontpage has a templates option like dream weaver that would be a simpler way to acheive he effect and wiht only 10 pages it wouldn't take that much to update all of them.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
i personally don't use templates for my web site. Depending on where you go will change how they are attached to one another. My web site being the first i have done, i used front page and i just named the files home.html and index.html and so on and then your web host provider should do the rest (as in placing the links to attache with other pages). However doing it in this way is slightly more complicated as you need to go into the code (html) area to do so. Might be wrong though. but doing it this way cause less time for updates because since most times you update you'll only be doing one page and with past experience i believe that when using templates and you want to update something it forces you to do the entire site which depending on the size of the site can cause some unessisairy waits. if i'm not clear which i'm probably not let me know and i will rephrase.

Edited by james_8970, 09 January 2006 - 09:17 PM.

Magosis

Magosis

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 190 posts
the only time you hav to update the entire site is when you change the twemplate not an idividual page.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
o my bad, i was probably doing it wrong then.