Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my computer isnt turning off because of some ccaapp or something

• Please log in to reply

Ma13tt0

Ma13tt0

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Each time we turn of our computer it says that ccaapp or something like that isnt responding and asks wether or not it should shut it down. It's a pain in the ace when i want to hurry up and hit shutdown and just walk away. Can anyone help me or know anything about this?

Advertisements

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
That's a file from Norton Antivirus. Norton is known for draining a ton of resources. I would suggest another antivirus. Take a look in my signature for links.

Destructo

Destructo

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Look here as this person had the same problem you are appearing to have,http://www.geekstogo...topic=88897&hl= I also had this problem with Norton, I now use AVG free and Zone Alarm which i find better for two reasons, there free and AVG picks up more viruses, than Norton on my computer.

Edited by Destructo, 04 January 2006 - 08:53 PM.

Prisionero De La Ley

Prisionero De La Ley

• Pip
  • 2 posts
How are you doing Ma13tt0??

I read the article about your problem and I thought I could help you out with that.
I know about a trick in the regedit that can help your computer kill any application like the one you said and also turn off your computer faster. All you have to do is this:
Start - Run - in the open box type regedit and press ok.
Now that you are in the regedit go to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Desptop.
Now, when you're there locate the key called: WaitToKillAppTimeout: give double click in it and change the value 20.000 to 4.000.

Now, without leaving the regedit go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control
Now, that you are there locate again the key: WaitToKillAppTimeout, give double click in it, and change the value again from 20.000 to 4.000.
Now you close the regedit and the next time you turn off the computer windows will kill any "not want to close" program.

Hope I Helped!! :)

Please do not set the font so large. I reduced it. Thanks. :tazz:

Edited by coachwife6, 05 January 2006 - 09:06 AM.

Jennifer C

Jennifer C

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I am having a similar problem. After working the computer hard... playing an MMO... backing up my files... my computer doesn't want to shut down. I have to hold down the power button. I am running Vista on a Sony Vaio. I was trying to edit my registry as you suggested but could not find the WaitToKillServiceTimeout under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Desktop. I did find it under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control. Is that going to be a problem that I only changed it under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control?