Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Network Problem!

• Please log in to reply

carlblakemore

carlblakemore

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Right here we go,

I have set up my inlaws wireless network for them and now have problems!!

System is Laptop running XP Sp2
TRENDnet’s TEW-435BRM wireless router

Connection is fine and all is ok.

However once the router is powered on its fine and network is seen and connects no problem. But if it is l;eft overnight or for a period of time the wireless network is no longer there, and cant be seen by any wireless devices. Reset power to router and it appears to all devices and connects no problem.

Can anyone suggest anything at all to try? I have been through all the settings on the router and can't see any obvious problems in the config of the router.

Advertisements

bofh

bofh

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
sound like a signal strength problem, i've had simliar problems with 3 different wireless AP's at my house.

relocating the pc (different area in the room) might help, positioning the router away from sources of interference (microwaves can cause havoc) simply turning the router 90 degrees (rotate it) can change the signal footprint and maybe improve your signal

how far away is the router by the way?

carlblakemore

carlblakemore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
the router is in the same room as the laptop, and is approx 20 feet away from it, withn a clear line of sight.

Hope someone can help!!!!

bofh

bofh

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
wireless access point do not broadcast their signal is a perfect circle around the device, you can get a low signal even it you are in the same room, if definitaly worth adjusting the position.

do you get this problem if you turn of your wireless security (WEP or WPA)?

carlblakemore

carlblakemore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
with the laptop in the same position it will pick up the signal no problem, but then fail to find it the next day for some odd reason. The only thing different when it fails to pick up the network is the time elapsed.

i have not tried disabling wep yet as i am reluctant to leave an insecure internet connection broadcasting, knowing what hackers and the like get up to!!

bofh

bofh

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
understand your concerns regarding unsecured wireless, your quite right, but i wont hurt to test it, unless there is a hack within spitting distance of your house then i wouldnt worry abotu it too much for the purposes of testing.

i was thinking that you security key may be set to use a radius server, in which case the key will expire after a period of time and try to renew it via raduis, if there is no radius server then you can get issues like this.

carlblakemore

carlblakemore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
would this radius issue be cured by power cycling the router?

also would this radius problem still prevent it from even showing up as a network to all wireless devices? if it showed up but was not able to connect to it then i would think it was to do with security!!

I really am lost with this!!!

Thanks for all the help so far!

bofh

bofh

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
well RADIUS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RADIUS) is somthing that you can turn on and off in your configuration, so have a look through the router settings and see if it is mentioned, not all routers use it.

If you havnt power cylced your router yet then you should do that next,

Which OS are you using? (if windows what service pack)

What type of Wireless interface is it on yoru laptop (manufacturer and model, pcmcia, usb, onboard) ?

What is your driver version?

What kind of wireless security are you using (WEP, WPA, WPA-PSK)?

Have you checked the event log?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
carlblakemore,

Many routers will enter into Standby when they do not detect any network activity. My router has a Standby button located on it, which activates when my network is inactive. Simply pressing that 'wakes up' the router and allows me to continue browsing the net.

Alternately, you could probably disable this feature on your router (consult your User Manual).

Some things to test for:
The next time your router stops responding, try pinging it (ie: Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK'; then type: PING 192.168.1.1 - your routers IP may be different).

Another test would be to attempt to release and renew your IP Address, to attempt to force a connection.
Goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK'; now type: ipconfig /release (and once it has released) then type: ipconfig /renew

Let me know if you need more help;
Dan.