Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking for anti-virus & firewall

• Please log in to reply

Boyo

Boyo

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
My Norton Internet Security is about to expire, and since I hated the program so much, I don't think I will be getting the 2006 version. For spyware, I am running Spybot, Ad-Aware SE Plus, and I am running a trial version of Webroot Spy Sweeper.

But I need a good anti-virus program. I know people love to recommend AVG and Avast, but I have not liked either of them(long story).....Can anyone recommend a strong anti-virus?

I also need a firewall. I was set to get Zone Alarm, but after reading user reviews of the program, I will not be getting that either.

Does anyone recommend a Security Suite, or stand alones?

Feel free to toss in your 2 cent's worth. I wouldn't be asking the questions if I didn't like the answers.
Thanks

Advertisements

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
For free antiviruses, if you don't like avg or avast, antivir is practically the last option.

If you want to pay, you can't go wrong with kapersky or nod32.

For firewall, I personally recommend Kerio.

jmackb1200

jmackb1200

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently bought System Mechanic Professional, which is more than just anti-virus and firewall. It includes Kaspersky firewall and virus scan (virus detection list is updated every three hours). The price is about the same as McAffee, and you can download a trial version good for 30 days, I believe. Go to www.iolo.com to check it out. Let me know what you think.

Boyo

Boyo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thanks for the tip. I have never heard of System Mechanic Professional......I'll give it a try.....Thanks

bushlady

bushlady

• Pip
  • 3 posts
This is free for home use :tazz:

Free Avast 4 Home Edition

http://www.avast.com...ast_4_home.html

And if you are using Windows XP. You should have Service Pack 2

http://www.microsoft...chnet/winxpsp2/

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
he said that he did not like Avast...

Boyo

Boyo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Does anyone know of the antivirus BitDefender 9 Standard??? It's a stand alone virus scanner, but I was wondering what anyone knew about it. Thanks for the tips all........appreciate it.

bushlady

bushlady

• Pip
  • 3 posts
http://bitdefender.c...cts.php?p_id=40

Edited by bushlady, 06 January 2006 - 09:20 PM.