Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Limited or no connectivity issue

• Please log in to reply

feneal

feneal

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Need a little here.

I my roommates and I have have three computer connected to the internet via a linksys router. My computer has been have until yesterday, it came up with the limited or no connectivity issue every other computer is fine. Its running on windows XP pro with service pack 2 which is being uninstalled right now. I have ran all sorts of troubleshooting procedure including downloading and installing the winsock fix from microsoft websit but it still not connecting. I wired the PC to the router directly and the Cable modem but I am still having the same problem. Do anybody know the solution to this problem. I have read other posts on the same issue but none have the solutions have solve my problem

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Cable Modem Setup
5th Jan 2006

This connectivity problem may be due to – [Cable Modem Setup] – Contact your [ISP] – and inform them of your problem –You need to tell your ISP that you need help in setting up Modem & that you want [24 Hour-7 day Continuous Connection] –

If you are using a Router – You need know – [ISP Protocol] & [Setup info] provided by your [ISP] and then contact your Router Support Team for proper [Router Setup] –

You will be required to have [Account Name] & [Password] when asking help from [ISP] – and probably S/N of Modem – And you should have your Router registered if obtaining help from Router Support Team – You may have to [Update Firmware] for [Modem] and/or [Router] –

Click on [Start]
Click [Run]
Type in [Open Box] : ispconfig/all
Press [Enter]

This should give you information about your modem – check the bottom line for [Lease Information] it should be for at least a [24 Hr.] period –

Jack123

bofh

bofh

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
if i may, the fact that you connect to your isp's network via a router and that your 3 machines are in a local area network configuration and that 2 of those machine have full conectivity indicates that your router and the connection your ISP's nework and then onto the internet are working as they should.

you mention that this happened after installing service pack 2? You've probably checked this already, sorry for asking, but have you disabled your personal firewall (the one that sp2 enables by default) if not, do so to aid your trouble shooting at least.

is this a cabled connection between the linksys router and the dogey PC? if it is then you could have speed and duplex problem, most network interface cards(NIC) come preconfigured to auto negotiate speed and duplex, this is common with linksys routers (with a switch built in), on linksys home kit you cant normaly adjust the speed and duplex of the switch port - in these cases it is set to Auto negotiate (which can be problematic)

Try and set the speed and duplex on the NIC on your PC to match the speed of the NIC

ie: 10/100 or 10/100/1000

you can do this in the driver utility in properties.

If your using wireless, check for low power 1st

security (i wont go into detail here) log on to the routers web interface and check the security policy you have set ie: WEP, WPA, check the password, enter it again if you dont know what it is, go to the wireless util in control pannel, check the WEP or WPA box and enter the password.

hope that helps

Edited by bofh, 05 January 2006 - 07:11 PM.