Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer.exe

• Please log in to reply

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Does anyone know why I get this error expolorer.exe everytime I go to shutdown my computer?

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello wadeb_21.

Can you please describe the error in detail? Explorer.exe is an important part of windows, and there can be many different kinds of errors related to it. Please provide me with the exact message that you are receiving.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 05 January 2006 - 02:06 PM.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Thank You for the reply. When I shutdown it says explorer.exe failed to initialize. Then once my computer is shutdown it turns back on for some reason I'm not sure if the explorer.exe error has something to do with that or not.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Try the following suggestions, they are in order from the most likely to help you to the least likely. Only continue to the next suggestion if the one you are on doesn't work.

1. Repair Windows XP. You will need an XP CD in order to do this. If you're not sure how to do a repair, check out the following link: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

2. Start Windows in Safe Mode, go to Start, Run, type sfc.exe /scannow You will need an XP for this too. If you have any problems running this, check out the following link: http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html

3. Start Windows in Safe Mode, go to Start, Run, type chkdsk /f /r This could take a while and you may or may not need an XP CD for this one.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Try the following suggestions, they are in order from the most likely to help you to the least likely. Only continue to the next suggestion if the one you are on doesn't work.

1. Repair Windows XP. You will need an XP CD in order to do this. If you're not sure how to do a repair, check out the following link: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

2. Start Windows in Safe Mode, go to Start, Run, type sfc.exe /scannow You will need an XP for this too. If you have any problems running this, check out the following link: http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html

3. Start Windows in Safe Mode, go to Start, Run, type chkdsk /f /r This could take a while and you may or may not need an XP CD for this one.

The thing is all i have is a Windows XP professional cd and the OS I'm running on my laptop is xp media edition that came with it. Should that matter no?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I'm not sure. There may be a way to figure out if it is possible.

Try this: Put the XP Pro CD in the drive. If autoplay makes a window pop up, exit out. Go to Start, Run, type sfc /scannow and press enter. If it won't run the file check it is unlikely to run the repair.

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 06 January 2006 - 10:46 AM.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

I'm not sure. There may be a way to figure out if it is possible.

Try this: Put the XP Pro CD in the drive. If autoplay makes a window pop up, exit out. Go to Start, Run, type sfc /scannow and press enter. If it won't run the file check it is unlikely to run the repair.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks computerwiz12890 for your help. I did what you told me do and it did the scan. Should I try the repair now or what is your suggestion?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Yes, go ahead with the repair. It looks like it will work.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Yes, go ahead with the repair. It looks like it will work.

Computerwiz12890, In the middle of doing the repair I got a message saying setup cannot copy the file: driver.cab. Then it asks me if I want to skip that and continue? What should I do? Do I need that driver is it really important?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Skip and continue. I doubt that that is the corrupted file. I think it is only explorer that has a problem.

Advertisements

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Skip and continue. I doubt that that is the corrupted file. I think it is only explorer that has a problem.

What can I do if the product key that I have isn't working but its the one on the case it came with it.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
There should be a product key somewhere on your computer, probably on the back of it. Use that product key.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

There should be a product key somewhere on your computer, probably on the back of it. Use that product key.

alright thanks I will give it a try and let you know the outcome.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Ok so I found the product key. However my computer restarted and it goes to a black screen where all I can see is the arrow from my mouse nothing else comes up. Do you have any ideas on what to do?

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Computerwiz12890 you out there today?