Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

oxc0000022 Failed to initialize

• Please log in to reply

Giza

Giza

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Can only use puter in safemode...and unable to access program files, printer, camera, etc...
PLEASE help me!!?!?! I posted to malware/hijackthis on Dec 16, with NO replies...I am desperate to fix my machine in order to complete work orders lonnnnng overdue...
Thank you for any help you can give me....
Happy? New Year!?!?!
Teriann

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go.

I'm sorry you haven't received help for such a long period of time. I am here now and you have my full attention.

I'm am currently reviewing your past posts so I can see your full situation. I will reply with what I think momentarily...

Edited by computerwiz12890, 05 January 2006 - 02:16 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Try the following suggestions, they are in order from the most likely to help you to the least likely. Only continue to the next suggestion if the one you are on doesn't work.

1. Repair Windows XP. You will need an XP CD in order to do this. If you're not sure how to do a repair, check out the following link: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

2. Start Windows in Safe Mode, go to Start, Run, type sfc.exe /scannow You will need an XP for this too. If you have any problems running this, check out the following link: http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html

3. Start Windows in Safe Mode, go to Start, Run, type chkdsk /f /r This could take a while and you may or may not need an XP CD for this one.

4. Download Spybot - Search & Destroy. Install it and run it. In the menu at the top, click on Mode, Advanced Mode. In the menu to the left, towards the bottom, click on Tools. Now click on System Startup in the menu at the left. Click on the little floppy disk towards the top that says export. Save the report and post it in your reply ONLY if none of the other suggestions worked or if you are unable to do them.

Giza

Giza

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you for your suggestions...I only have one problem...I had my machine totally reformatted by a local "geek" friend of my daughters in June and I don't have an XP disk :-(
Any other suggestions?? I have been in contact with him, to help me fix my machine also, for the past few weeks, but due to the holidaze...he has been swamped at work, etc...
I have run every spyware, fixit doc software known and nothing has helped...even just paid the darned $29.95 for SpywareDoctor, or something like it...and it didn't do any good, even tho' it claims to clean up WinShow and CWS...
Thanks for your quick response today! I really do appreciate it!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I see that this will be a difficult challenge :tazz:

So you can boot into Safe Mode, but you can't access program files, printer, camera, etc...

What does the computer say or do when you try to access those things?

I've checked your past HJT log. I know that I'm still in training, but I don't see any infections. At least none that could cause that problem. That old HJT log was posted during these problems, right?

Giza

Giza

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
re: What does the computer say or do when you try to access those things?

I am not able to go beyond the XP Login screen...the whole screen just goes blue and puter freezes...have to shut it off...(but am able to access Task Manager from that point with a Ctl Alt Del, I just have no clue which programs to "stop running"...and which are the good ones.
When I try to use the printer or camera in Safe Mode, it tells me there is none installed. I also am unable to run some other cleaning tools...and wasn't able to do that cleandsk suggestion you made. Originally, WinShow was found...over 1662 infected files! Today, after buying PCTools-Spydoc, it found CWS, but I've cleaned that (supposedly) and it still won't open. I am not able to reinstall printer nor camera in safemode, (nor anything else from disks) as it tells me install files are missing...Thanks for your suggestions.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Start your computer in Safe Mode.

Click on Start, Run, type in msconfig and press enter.

When System Configuration Utility pops up, fill in the circle next to Selective Startup. UNcheck the option that says Load Startup Items. Press OK. Restart you computer in normal mode and see if the error occurs.

Even if the error doesn't occur, we still have a good bit to do. If the error still occurs, do the following, but ONLY do it if the error occurs again. It's basically the same thing, except 1 change:

When System Configuration Utility pops up, fill in the circle next to Selective Startup. UNcheck the option that says Process WIN.INI file. Press OK. Restart you computer in normal mode and see if the error occurs.

Let me know how it goes.

Giza

Giza

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
:) NOPE...nice try...sure wish it were that simple! No change...still getting the same explorer application missing error (Oxc0000022) I sure appreciate your perseverence, tho'!! BTW...ALL of my "Startup" files in msconfig were already unchecked...and most ALL of my "Services" have been "stopped" as well...is that because I'm in SAFE MODE??? Also...isn't "WinHound" a virus? I have that in my startup files...:tazz:

Edited by MoonGlow756, 06 January 2006 - 11:34 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
It looks like you'll have to borrow an XP CD from somebody. We can try one more thing:

When System Configuration Utility pops up, fill in the circle next to Diagnostic Startup. Click apply. Restart the computer.

ALL of my "Startup" files in msconfig were already unchecked...and most ALL of my "Services" have been "stopped" as well...is that because I'm in SAFE MODE???

No, these settings only apply to normal mode. Starting in Safe Mode won't change them.

Also...isn't "WinHound" a virus? I have that in my startup files...

I believe so. The fact that it is there does not mean you are infected, that is the registry entry which would cause it to run, but that doesn't mean the program is still on your computer. If it was checked, and the program is gone, it would cause an error. That's why I'm getting you to disable everything, since there appears to be a program that is either corrupt or no longer exists. Once we disable something, and the error disappears, then we've found it. But if the error occurs even with everything disabled, then there is a corrupt Windows file, in which case you will NEED an XP CD.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Moonglow,

Did you ever return to the malware thread? A malware helper asked you to post another hijackthis log there and you never responded.

I can tell you with even a quick glance that you ARE infected with a nasty browser helper object that is at the root of your problems

http://www.geekstogo...topic=85091&hl=

Giza

Giza

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey! Computerwiz...
I FINALLY found another message in the forum with the same "symptoms"...followed the fixit,,,(pieceopi's) and downloaded the SmitRem as suggested....IT WORKED!!!! My machine is running VERY Slow for a DSL connection, (probably because of all the anti-virus/spyware removers I put on it while trying to fix???) and I still have no "startup" files checked in my msconfig, but at least my printer works...haven't tried camera yet!!
Thanks for all your diligence and support!!!
TA
and....
Ger...
Yes...I did post another HJT and have been working with another tech for the past 2 days...I gave up on the Malaware forum and went to XP since I'd had no response here the past 3 weeks. He was very diligent in trying to help me, although, as I stated above, I finally found another thread with a fixit that worked. You guys are the greatest...thanks again

Edited by MoonGlow756, 07 January 2006 - 08:45 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Great! Thanks for telling me how you fixed it. Do the following so all your programs will run like they're suppose to again:

When System Configuration Utility pops up, fill in the circle next to Normal Startup. Press OK. Restart you computer.

Run HijackThis and save a fresh log. Now post the fresh log in your past thred:

http://www.geekstogo...topic=85091&hl=

andydf is waiting to help ya out. The problematic infection may have been removed, but they're could be others left on your computer. Plus we want to remove any leftovers of the infection you just cleaned by yourself.

Make sure you tell andydf this:

I FINALLY found another message in the forum with the same "symptoms"...followed the fixit,,,(pieceopi's) and downloaded the SmitRem as suggested....IT WORKED!!!! My machine is running VERY Slow for a DSL connection, (probably because of all the anti-virus/spyware removers I put on it while trying to fix???)

After you tell him that, post your log and ask him to make sure you are clean.

Take care :tazz: