Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Please advise if Adobe Acrobat Reader may be downloaded, installed and uninstalled later . I merely wish to install for purpose of reading some PTF files(messages via Outlook Express) and remove after because of ram restrictions on Windows XP Pro.

Regards and thanks for all help rendered during past year. More people should tell you this considering the money that is saved by not having to take their computer to technicians all the time.

Once again, regards

Waynf

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
from what i have herd Acrobat reader is not a very invasive program, (unlike aol for example), i whould say go ahead and download it. if you have any troble removing it just post and we will get it off for you. but it has many uses and so i whould suggest that you try to keep it on your computer, unless you absolulty must remove it.
your complaint of lack of ram: do you not have that much ram? or do you have a lot of malware? i whould consider posting in the malware forums and making sure you dont have any if you are having issues and have a significat amount of ram

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Downloading and using Acrobat's pdf reader is not going to strain your system...just opening Internet Explorer uses more resources. The full version of Adobe Acrobat is resource intensive, but just the reader is not.
http://www.adobe.com.../readstep2.html

If your computer has sufficient memory to run XP, the Acrobat reader is a blip.

Johanna

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
In regards to my ram availability: When I posted yesterday I was running XP Pro with 64 megs of ram. Today I installed another 128 megs totalling my rams to 192 megs.(Still not up where it would be comfortable. Cannot find locally 256 or 512 megs in a two slot ram format. Computer is not that new. I hope this program will not send me back to creepy crawly status of 64 meg type performance.

Regards

Waynf

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
One of my kids has a hand-me-down computer w/ 64 Mb RAM and XP Pro...and it is slower than molasses in January, but it works. Check the manufacturer's site for how much memory the motherboard will support (it doesn't have to be in two slots- one stick of 256 would be better than the two sticks you are running now, for example) Regardless, installing the Acrobat reader should not affect system performance.

Johanna