Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Heat

• Please log in to reply

L4wless

L4wless

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I just built a new gaming pc its a 3.0ghz p4 proccesor with HT and i got a ECS Board and SpeedFan has 3 diffrent tempature readings im not sure wich one of them is the CPU,Case and Video card but they are all around 100 degrees is that good for this processor i mean cuz i got a 1.5 p4 asus mother board that runs at 76 degrees idle and about 108 when playing a game such as Counter Strike: Source. im kinda puzzled beacuse the cmos readings say 122 degrees the case has a tempature thingy on it, its about 77 - 80 degrees all the time

but some programs tell me diffrent things im not sure witch ones are accurate.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I would dl and install Motherboard Monitor and pay attention to whether you are getting your temps in C or F.
http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
FWIW, my AMD proc temp runs between 100-120 F depending on the load.

Johanna

L4wless

L4wless

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I wish MBM could support my mother board but it dosent another program iv tryed EVEREST something it showed my cpu temp around 70 - 80 but so many programs tell me diffrent things iono and the cmos it cant be right cuz it saying liek 130 degrees and its idleing is there a way i could have hooked something up wrong maybe?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

One thing I want to mention first is you can only run one of these monitoring programs at once or they can interfer with one another.

To elininate confussion lets talk in celsius and start in bios.

In bios what is the cpu temp in celcius after the computer has been ideling in bios for 15 minutes?

We will then move on to the software readouts.

Did your motherboard come with a program to monitor the temps? this would be located on the cd that came with the board

Rick

L4wless

L4wless

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
i dident run them all at the same time and my board did come with a cd im not sure if it did come with a temp monitoring program but my board is a ECS P4M800-M7

it did come with a program on the cd but it was for amd 64bit only so..yea i duno why it would be on my board cd...

Okay in my bios letting it sit for...maybe 8 hours at about 70 degrees in the house my computer started it up and went to the cmos and it said 49c im pretty sure that cant be right and umm i can leave it running for 3 days and i can touch the heatsink on the bottom and its not evan hot its cold acually

Edited by L4wless, 08 January 2006 - 07:32 AM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Ok that a pretty good way to see if your sensor is reading high and looking at it I would say its reading high about 21C because,,,,,,,,,

70F = 21C your room temp, if the computer is off for several hours the cpu temp will be the same as the room temp and if you go directly into bios and read the cpu temp it could raise 5C to 7C for the time it takes to get there so your cpu temp is approximately 28C at this point.

But your bios/sensor is reading it at 49C,,,, so 49C minus 28C = 21C witch would be sensor error.
I have tested this theory with Amd systems and the use of a thermal probe and it is fairly accurate.

So I think your reported cpu temp readings are 21C higher then the actually are.

In cases like this I usually recommend to simply not worry about it, if the computer is stable, meaning no lock ups, bsod's or reboots.

Rick

L4wless

L4wless

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
hmm but how would there be a sensor error and the board is bran new right out of the box i just built this computer 2 days after christmas i built the whole computer from the case to the cpu

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Well this is a common problem just about every system I put together has some error when reading temps some more than others. They do tend to read high, the system in my signature reads about 15C higher than it should my other two are only off about 5C.

This in no way means the board is bad, sometimes a bios update fixes the problem but I don't recommend updating bios for just that small problem.