Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to learn computer in general

• Please log in to reply

Throntel

Throntel

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I've just been using the computer for games and chat untill now, except some html and css. But I've realized that I don't really know alot of computer in general, such as making a good network, being able to solve problems on the computer and using linux proparly. I was just wondering if anyone here knew a good site where I can get these kind of knowlege, and what kind of programming/scripting languages that will come handy when using a computer to the normal kind of stuff.

Sorry for the confusing writting, the truth is that I didn't really know what to say :tazz: Anyway what I really want to learn is how to be able to understand the computer (Software related).

Thanks for your time, even if you do reply or not.

Edited by Throntel, 06 January 2006 - 10:05 AM.

Advertisements

amunra

amunra

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
The first thing I would do is get a GOOD working knowledge of HTML then move to PHP and ASP.

Throntel

Throntel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Yeah, I mean I did kinda do that. But I dropped of at HTML because I realized I might also should have some more general knowlege about computer (software related)

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
First, to amunra: I must disagree with you but HTML nor PHP are basic knowledges of PC (but may become in future, god knows).

Dear Throntel,
your request is too wide. :) . Be slightly more descriptive about what you actually want to learn :tazz:

Throntel

Throntel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Haha, I just want to be better in using the computer. Let's say I have a virus, I want to be able to repair and remove the virus. and also be able to repair and remove problems I get with my computer.

In a way being able to solve a random problem, not just being able to create something and if it doesn't work exactly as I wanted it to I need help :tazz:

amunra

amunra

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I would do a google search for Computer Basics. It will bring up good computer lessons that are free.

Throntel

Throntel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hehe, another "google is your friend" guy :)
I were thinking about it, but I just fear they get to basic.
I don't want to learn how to open and close my opera browser :tazz:

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
http://www.howstuffworks.com/

-->
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You cant get to basic, youll find something useful, if you really want to be a geek you can come down to the geek secret headquarters and we will install a specail micro hard drive directly into your brain with all the knowledge you need.

You also get hard geeks and soft geeks, these guys are soft geeks, and then you get hard geeks like me and the rest of the hardware people, i like hardware side of geekness more, software is more of neccesary evil to see how nice the hardware goes. If you want to learn how to remove viruses you can join geekstogos geek university and you will be given all the training needed to spot and remove malware.

Other than that read the tech websites and magazines and youll pick it up in time for being hardware techy geek person i think its good fun i love my computer but i go a bit nuts if i spend ages with coding and software tweaking give me a good hardware problem anyday(love programing but i dont have the patience i learn and forget languages to quickly). Good advice is to experiment its how you learn, you dont know unitl you try it and yes you will make mistakes and the computer will probably not work but fixing it is the bes tlearning experience, ive lost count how many times ive naffed something when i was learning all about computers, and im still learning the great place about a site like this all our collective tid bits of knowledge and experience are shared.

Edited by warriorscot, 08 January 2006 - 01:07 PM.