Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Freezes When I plug in MP3 Player or a Thumb Drive

• Please log in to reply

Candelora

Candelora

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Need some help. I have a HP Pavilion a405n PC with one USB up front & 4 out back. For Christmas I got my wife an Apple IPOD Video 30g. After loading everything I plugged in the IPOD. The PC froze. I contacted Apple and they told me to return it and get another one. I decided to go with a the Philips HDD1630/17 GoGear MP3 instead. Besides it runs off Windows Media Player. Less crap on my PC. Anyway, if I plug it in to the PC via USB it freezes the PC. If I open Windows Media first it won't freeze. However, if I try to "sync" or copy songs to the MP3 player it gets stuck on syncing 1%. I have to stop the process. When I check the MP3 player I can see the song artist & name, but I cannot play the song. It's just the shell of the song.

Now this is not the only device this happens to. I also have a memorex 512MB external drive that I bought to load files on to. When I attempt to copy & paste files to this unit it gets stuck on copy. I have to end the process. It only ends up copying the folder names, but not the files. This is very similar to the MP3 player.

The USB works because I can run my Lexmark x5150 all-in-one printer off of the same port as well as my digital camera.

I've spent hours on the phone with Microsoft & Philips, but still no solution. We removed drivers, updated drivers, added new drivers from Microsoft, HP & Philips. We killed my Norton Anti-Virus. We tried everything. Nothing works!

Any ideas?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is it just that port that these two devices wont work on...? have you tried any of the other ports just to be sure?

the two devices you mention are probably both USB2.0 devices...are these usb 2.0 ports?

Candelora

Candelora

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Controller - 24CD

Tried all 5 USB ports. Same affect.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
get into your bios and look for a section that mentions enabeling usb 2.0 support or something to that effect

Candelora

Candelora

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Question: How do I get into the bios? It's been a long time since I've done that.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
restart the computer and press del (sometimes f2) during the startup process to enter the bios settings ...if it's not del or f2..there should be a note on the screen that says which key to use...

Candelora

Candelora

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
USB Support is already enabled.

Candelora

Candelora

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No one? Nothing? No one wants to handle a tough one?

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
First it is not a tough one. Secondly, your knowlage is nothing compare to the tech that answer your question. All of us here are trying to help and learn from one other.
Your problem is some thing known and posted at support web site of HP. Goto HP.com, then download and support, search for your machine and they will give you links to download patches and show you how to tep by step.
Good luck.