Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Passwords are automatically filling in on Internet Forms

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

hhb

hhb

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I have an HP Pavilion a1010n running Windows XP Home Edition, using IE explorer. It is a family computer, so we have accounts set up for each family member.

On one of the accounts, when a family member signs in to her Web-based e-mail account, her screen name appears in a small pop-up window just below the input area. The window has gray diagonal lines in the lower right hand corner of the window. The window contains her screen name; the system must have stored it from previous sessions. After entering her screen name, her password is automatically filled in. We are concerned that this brings the risk of others being able to sign on to her e-mail, or to use similarly stored account numbers while shopping. My concern goes further: is that information being sent out to third parties who have no rightful involvement in the session?

It is only happening within her Windows account. Other user areas are not affected. So far. Is this some type of setting that can be shut off, or is there some kind of malware in the system? I have done full system scans using Norton Internet Security, Trend Micro Anti-Spyware (with Venus Spy Trap enabled), and Ad-Aware. Nothing has been found beyond the customary tracking cookies that seem to follow every Web browsing session. These applications are kept up to date. I also keep Windows updated as well.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

:tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
on her account open up internet explorer then do tools > internet options > content > autocomplete > unchekc the usernames and passwords box...then do the clear forms and clear passwords

hhb

hhb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
That cleared it up. Thank you very much. My wife also thanks you. This one can be closed.

:tazz: