Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop Problems after various mal-ware removal

• Please log in to reply

Broncobeno

Broncobeno

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I thought I had all this worked out, but I can't seem to get my desktop back to normal. I first unistalled the good ol' Spy Sherrif and then ran a system restore, but to no avail. I then ran a number of different free mal-ware programs and that seems to have cured 99% of the problem. I came across all of these freebies on techsupportalert.com, which I found to be a very helpful site. I ran AVG for the virus scan, Microsoft Antispyware, Ewido for trojans, F-Secure Blacklight for rootkits (found nothing), and also installed Sunbelt Keiro Firewall and WinPatrol. I also now run Firefox instead of IE. The spyware was preventing me from going to sites that would help me fix the problem on IE. Before this infection I had no protection on my computer whatsoever. Unfortunately, I'm unable to post these logs because I came across this site after I ran all of this. After I finished with all that and deleted the spyware and viruses that were found, my desktop was still taken over by a "SPYWARE INFECTION" notice. I went a number of folders that I recognized from the paths of the spyware and viruses detected and deleted the files that were created at the time of the infection on my computer. This may have been a bit careless, but no harm seems to have come of it. This still didn't fix the problem though. This is when I downloaded WinPatrol. I noticed two processes running that had been activated at startup that didn't have a publisher listed or any of the info of the legitimate processes. I disabled both of these and upon reboot that seemed to have fixed my problem. My desktop was now a burgandy color, which was the color I had specified on the display in control panel, so I thought all was well. But when I went to the control panel, it still prevents me from clicking on the "Background" menu under "Desktop". I checked the "Web" tab and there was no "Security Info" or anything of the such marked. I went into Firefox and tried to set a picture off the internet as the wallpaper, but it still just showed the burgandy color. Am I overlooking something simple here? It seems like this should be fixed to me. I may have went through all that above for nothing, but if you want me to run ewido and then the hijack this thingy and post the logs, just let me know. Thanks in advance, I know this is a lot to read.

Advertisements