Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB CD/DVD Drives failing

• Please log in to reply

khersee

khersee

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
WinXP Home SP2, AMD XP 3000+, 2.17G, 1 G Ram - Hi, all of a sudden, I can't get any of my cd/dvd drives (1 TDK USB CD burner, 1 Fantom Drive USB DVD burner and an internal ATAPI) to read or burn. Nero kept asking for a blank cdr. I kept putting them in and the drives kept spitting them out. I uninstalled Nero because I thought maybe somehow updating the program caused this to happen. Then I realized that this happened prior to the update. I then tried to use WMP to burn and that just hung up, stating that WMP could not burn the song to disc. Make sure the disc is clean ... blah blah blah. What could cause something like this to happen all of a sudden? Kirk

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
A bad batch of CDRs could cause this problem

Are all drives still reading? If so, I would try a completely different group of CDRs from a different maker

khersee

khersee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I checked a disc last night on my wife's computer and it worked fine. I will double check the readability factor this evening after work and get back. Also, when I had put in a cd (already burned) I couldn't access it by just clicking the drive letter (the message I think was one of association, but, I don't recall at this moment. I will check again tonight); I had to use the Explore option under the right-click menu. Until later ... Kirk ....

...PS - about the association, I noticed that some of my media files (MP3's mostly, I think) don't show any icons. Just the windows icon. I believe this is due to lost association, but can't find a way to reassociate them. Some files have the WMP icon. Fortuanately, the files still play. But, there's a frustration to seeing the "wrong" icon. Again, thanks for any and all assistance. Kirk.

khersee

khersee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
OK ... so the DVD Drive (USB) doesn't even see a disc. The TDK CD Burner (USB) reads. The internal ATAPI reads. But, if I go to use WMP to burn, it says the drive (internal) is in use and there's a blank cd in it.
I'm going to try another cd brand right now... brb ... kirk

ok ... still nothing ... I mean, if the disc(s) burn on my wife's computer ok, it's gotta be something on mine, right? Just in case this means anything ... the spindle set I am using are Memorex and the jewel case cd's are TDK's.

Again, thanks, kirk

Edited by khersee, 07 January 2006 - 08:25 PM.

eradk8

eradk8

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

Try to flash your drive with the latest version by going to the manufacturer's website. Hope this helps.

khersee

khersee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Ummm ... ok ... flash? Sorry, I don't know what that means. Please advise, thanks, Kirk

khersee

khersee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
So, how do I do this flash thing? I did go to the website, but, there were no updated drivers for my model DVD Burner. Same with the TDK unit. I'm seriously looking into replacing these units, but if the problem goes deeper than that (like something inside my computer vs the units themselves - as it does seem strange that all my units "died" at once). Please advise. Over. Kirk

Edited by khersee, 22 January 2006 - 08:04 PM.

khersee

khersee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I'm sure were all busy, but is there any way to get help on this issue? I'm considering purchasing the firewire burner & if it doesn't work I can return it. Thanks, Kirk

khersee

khersee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
OK, so my new f/w burner comes tomorrow. I won't be able to hook it up until after 8PM so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this to be a workaround solution (but not a real solution to the actual problem). I tried to plug in the Fantom Drive DVD burner last night. I was able to view a Future Music CD Rom. Also, play a pinball game. But, when I tried to put in a cd to burn some tunes, WMP goes through all the motions of converting the files and says burning and closing disc. But, when it's about to finish the process, WMP pops up a message saying that it "could not burn the disc. Verify that the disc is clean or empty". So, once again I ask the experts before I try my f/w unit tomorrow night. And before I contemplate reinstalling windows (or worse - taking it somewhere for someone to fix that'll charge me $$$). Thanks for the listen. Kirk

khersee

khersee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Well, the f/w unit runs smoothly enough. I burned 2 cd's without incident. I guess that takes care of that for now. Still looking for a possible solution to the original problem though. Thanks again, Kirk