This is on a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptoop with Win XP Home.
1) Installed BenQ wireless keyboard & mouse combo. The mouse seemed to just start using the driver for my old Logitech wireless mouse, so I couldn't change settings for it.
2) Uninstalled Logitech driver.
3) BenQ Mouse stopped working.
4) Couldn't think of anything better, so did a system restore to a system checkpoint previous to installing the BenQ stuff.
5) On restart, external neither external keyboard and mouse, nor onboard laptop keyboard and touchpad worked. To clarify, this means I cannot even log into Windows to let the system restore complete.
6) The issue is not hardware, as the laptop function keys still work, eg I can use Func+Down Arrow to dim screen.
7) Checked the Bios to see if keyboard and mouse had somehow gotten turned off. Couldn't find a setting related to this.
8) Used Win XP CD to attempt Repair to current installation of Win XP. I used the CD's automated Repair option. During setting up the repair, the keyboard worked fine, so the drivers loaded by the CD are good. However, during the part where it sets up device drivers, they die again, and I have no further control. In addition, at this point, I get a window telling me the System Restore from part 4 has completed. I need to hit OK on this window, but cannot since I have by then lost my input capability again.
I'm now at a loss for ideas. I could do a fresh install, but I don't want to lose all my data. Can anything be done with boot disks made on another persons computer? Any other suggestions?