Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Keyboard & Mouse dead

• Please log in to reply

ssilk

ssilk

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Here's a brief synopsis of the problem:

This is on a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptoop with Win XP Home.

1) Installed BenQ wireless keyboard & mouse combo. The mouse seemed to just start using the driver for my old Logitech wireless mouse, so I couldn't change settings for it.

2) Uninstalled Logitech driver.

3) BenQ Mouse stopped working.

4) Couldn't think of anything better, so did a system restore to a system checkpoint previous to installing the BenQ stuff.

5) On restart, external neither external keyboard and mouse, nor onboard laptop keyboard and touchpad worked. To clarify, this means I cannot even log into Windows to let the system restore complete.

6) The issue is not hardware, as the laptop function keys still work, eg I can use Func+Down Arrow to dim screen.

7) Checked the Bios to see if keyboard and mouse had somehow gotten turned off. Couldn't find a setting related to this.

8) Used Win XP CD to attempt Repair to current installation of Win XP. I used the CD's automated Repair option. During setting up the repair, the keyboard worked fine, so the drivers loaded by the CD are good. However, during the part where it sets up device drivers, they die again, and I have no further control. In addition, at this point, I get a window telling me the System Restore from part 4 has completed. I need to hit OK on this window, but cannot since I have by then lost my input capability again.

I'm now at a loss for ideas. I could do a fresh install, but I don't want to lose all my data. Can anything be done with boot disks made on another persons computer? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi ssilk

Do your mouse and keyboard work if you boot into Safe Mode? If so, try reinstalling the Logitec drivers so you can use the external HID's to run with while working on the machine. Then go to the Dell website and download/install the latest keyboard drivers for your machine.

wannabe1

ssilk

ssilk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Nope, tried Safe Mode. Forgot to mention that.
The only way I've seen the keyboard & mouse work so far is in the BIOS, or when I boot with the Win XP CD, and then it's only while I'm in that part that looks like a DOS app.

However, if could get the Dell drivers onto another burned CD, is there someway maybe to install them from that if I could get to them after going into Manual Repair mode using the XP CD?

Thanks.

Edited by ssilk, 06 January 2006 - 10:50 PM.

ssilk

ssilk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hey guys,

Still haven't resolved this. I got Bart PE, and app similar to Win PE, so I can boot into a GUI. This allows me to access my hard drive at least.

Since I can now access the hard drive, is there maybe some way I can fix this problem manually?

Thanks.