Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN how to control download of its PCs

• Please log in to reply

zillah

zillah

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I have got 3 PCs are accessing the internet through the LinkSys ADSL Router WAG54G, These PCs are in different places, two of them (Laptops,,,La and Lb) accessing the router wireless and the third one (Desktop,,,D1) wired.

These PCs are in different places in an office.

What should I do if I want to control the download of these PCs,,,(i.e. they can't download at any time the like to download )

Suppose I am using La and I want to stop D1 form downloading because he slows down the net,,, What should I do ?

Note: I just want to disable the ability of a download,,,,I have got no problem if he want to browse.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello zillah and welcome to G2G, :tazz:

I need a little additional information to ascertain whether or not I will be able to assist you, in correcting your problem.

Please Answer the following questions:

1) You said that you are in an office scenario correct. Are you the Office Manager or the person in charge of the Offic's PC's. Have to make sure your not a digruntled employee trying to cause problems?

2) We can do the following in your scenario a) limit the time of day the other users can access the internet, b) Specify what PC's have priorty over other PC's in terms of Bandwidth usage, c) forward certain ports to have higher priority over other ports for specific applications d) and restrict access to websites by keyword or URL.... So I need to know which of these you want to do?

3) What Ip scheme does your DSL network use (Automatic or Static)?

zillah

zillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi SpaceCowboy706

1- Yes I am.

2- Since you offer many solutions, I am looking to learn all of these If you do not mind, otherwise one it should do the job.

3- Automatic.

4- Why have not I received email notification for your reply? do you have any idea,,,all settings are fine.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Welcome back zillah, The following screenshots may not be exactly the same as your view but they will be pretty close as I am only one model number away from the same router you have.

1. Open a web browser and access the routers setup screen by typing 192.168.1.1. into the address field.
2. This will Open another Window that asks for a Username and Password. (see next two lines)
........... Default username: <leave blank>
........... Default Password: admin
3. Now you are in the Router Configuration Tool. From here we can do everything I mentioned before as long as we click the SAVE button after making any changes.
4. See this Link for what the main page should look Like _ I have nearly the same model as You do:
Main_Page.JPG
5. Click on the ACCESS RESTRICTIONS link and you will get a page that looks similiar to this:
Acc_Restr.JPG
6. The Blue column on the right side gives a description of what each field in the center does. From here it is self explanatory of what you need to do, to setup restrictions based on Time of day access. Just be sure to click the save button at the bottom when you are done.
*NOTE* From this same page, you can configure mutliple profile settings for easy changing by selecting a different Internet Access Policy (1), (2), (3) at the center top and then setting what you want then saving it. To change the policy just access the browser setup tool and come back to this link and change it... then save it.
7. To setup restictions for bandwidth usage click on the APPLICATIONS & GAMING link and you will get a screen that looks like this:
App_anbd_Gam.JPG
8. Just click on the QOS link that takes you to a Page like this:
QOS.JPG
9. Again the blue column on the right side gives a description of what each field in the center does. From here it is self explanatory of what you need to do, to setup restrictions based on The Mac Address in section 1, Wired Ports in section 2, or Specific Ports in section 3. Again Just be sure to click the save button at the bottom when you are done.
10. If you need help obtaining the MAC Address, IP Address, Application Names or Port Numbers just post back and help you out some more.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
PSS
to setup email notification click the options button on the post like this:
options.JPG
Then click the TRACK THIS TOPIC link
to get a screen like this
email.JPG
Make sure the IMMEDIATE EMAIL NOTIFICATION bubble is selected
then click the proceed button
I have noticed that it is not an Immediate Email but a delay of a few minutes.

zillah

zillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thanks SpaceCowboy706 for this information

10. If you need help obtaining the MAC Address, IP Address, Application Names or Port Numbers just post back and help you out some more.

is there any LinKsys's option let me find ip addresses of PCs connected to the router ? (I am aware of ipconfig /all)

How to find port number for each PC connected to the router ?

Attached Thumbnails

• See_this.jpg

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
To find Ip Address for Wireless Clients click the WIRELESS Link that will take you here:
IP_Address.JPG
Then click the WIRELESS MAC FILTER Link here:
mac.JPG
Takes you to this screen where you will click the EDIT MAC FILTER LIST button here:
mac_filter_list.JPG
and then click the WIRELESS CLIENT MAC LIST here:
mac_list.JPG
which will take you to this screen:
finale.JPG
that will show you all active and inactive PC's that are connecting through your router VIA a wireless connection. Just copy down the IP Address from here and paste it into the other page for access restrictions.
And then just use the IPCONFIG /ALL at Command Prompt for the Wired PC.

To find the Physical Port number for each PC connected you just look on the back of the Router where the Cat5 plugs into it. If you are referring to TCP or UDP Ports you must Find the name of the Application or Program and then research it on Google or Microsoft's FAQ. If you get a list of the programs you need ports for, just post it here and I will get them for you, but it could take a couple days as the after holidays help requests are numerous..

zillah

zillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

To find the Physical Port number for each PC connected you just look on the back of the Router where the Cat5 plugs into it. If you are referring to TCP or UDP Ports you must Find the name of the Application or Program and then research it on Google or Microsoft's FAQ.

Does the option "Specific Port #" under QoS mean physical port or logical port (TCP,UDP),,,,or both of them physical and logical port ?

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Section A on this screenshot refers to Physical Port on the back of the router.

Section B on this screenshot refers to TCP/UDP ports needed by applications.

QOS_PART_2.JPG

zillah

zillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
The attachment in post #6 the QoS is : "Application-based QoS" (Logical port ), I do not have Ethernet port (physical) as you have,,,,I do not why.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Sorry So long on the reply... My PC crashed and I had to reformat, repartition and reload windows and I LOST EVERYTHING. Still trying to get it all back.

Anyways...

You probably need a Firmware upgrade. Post your Router firmware version in here and i will get it for you.
If you dont know where to get it at just log on to the very first page of the browser setup and it should say in the upper right hand serction of the screen.

zillah

zillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

If you dont know where to get it at just log on to the very first page of the browser setup and it should say in the upper right hand serction of the screen.

I have got the latest version of firmware.

http://www1.linksys....wid=124&coid=52

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Sorry So Long on the Reply.... CRASHED Myself a third time now...Fedora Core Is not my Friend :tazz:

Anyways...

Here is what your QOS screen looks like and the area you need to be in for For Physical Ports to be set for priorities and their functions:

router.JPG

High priority/Medium priority/Low priority. For each application, select High priority (traffic on this queue
shares 60% of the total bandwidth), Medium priority (traffic on this queue shares 18% of the total bandwidth),
or Low priority (traffic on this queue shares 1% of the total bandwidth).

Specific Port # referres to Physical Port#