Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Photoshop

• Please log in to reply

lhassig

lhassig

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Folks,

Of late, Photoshop 5.5 crashes with many kinds of operations. For example:

Moving the image quality slider when saving a jpeg.
In the wake of any operation using the wand.
Upon trying to load a large-ish (20 megs) .psd or .tif file. (The computer freezes before the program finishes reading the format.)
...and on many other occasions.

Sometimes only Photoshop crashes. More often, the entire computer freezes, sometimes with a BSOD.

The problem first surfaced last week, when I tried to silhouette an object from a 20 meg .tif file. Things seem to have been going downhill from there.

I have read that 5.5 works OK with XP and, until recently, I've been able to, for example, change the size of a large image to 640x480 pixels and save it. Even that is now unreliable.

My computers is a Soyo, with a P4 processor and 3.x gigaherz. One-half gig of ram (if I run the Task Manager while I attempt to work with Photoshop, there appears to be no lack of memory). two 160-gig drives. The "scratch drive" has 80 gigs of free space.

I was about to repair XP, but as far as I can tell, repair is needed most often when the machine won't even boot. In my case, everything else except Photoshop seems to work fine. I run Registry Mechanic--no change.

I've tried running the program after removing all my startup items. Same problem. Ditto after disabling all processes.

My most distant restore point is yesterday, which is well after the problems began. So I haven't done an XP restore.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Advertisements

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
before you go about messing up your xp install, I think you should find out if photoshop 5.5 is xp compatible because I know photoshop 5.0 is not. I have also experienced frequent crashes when I tried to install it on windows xp. it doesn't even work right when it runs with compatibility to an older version of windows. I suggest that you get an updated version of photoshop if the one you have isn't xp compatible.

edit: and I should read. anyway, it works okay with xp but it has problems with certain motherboards and RAM manufacturers. I would still recommend an upgrade, especially since they're up to version 9 now.

Edited by Thef0rce, 07 January 2006 - 11:13 AM.