Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outgoing mail stuck in outbox

• Please log in to reply

em-j

em-j

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have a desktop and laptop that are virtually identical. For email purposes, both use Outlook Express version 6. The laptop is newer.

Anyway, I can send mail from the laptop no problem, but when I send mail from the desktop, it goes, but it stays in my outbox rather than moving to the sent folder, and it keeps sending over and over until I manually move it.

I have checked every setting on both computers and they appear to be identical. I must be missing something, but I can't figure it out.

Thanks to you guys, I have my computer back after I got in trouble yesterday, so I thought maybe someone could help with this. I just can't figure this out. Thankyou. J

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
are you absolutely certain that things are sending ? Send an email to your self? Do you receive it, and it stays in the outbox, or does it just appear to send?

If you send it to yourself and you receive it, but it still stays in the outbox, this is what I would try first.

In outlook express, create a new folder by right clicking and calling it OLDSENT. Copy all messages from SENT to OLDSENT

close IE

Open MY COMPUTER and navigate to
C:\Documents and Settings\{your profile name\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{some wierd looking alphanumeric string}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Delete outbox.dbx and send.dbx

close folder,

Start Outlook express

Try sending a message again

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Quick 2 minutes fix
-back up your address book & mails
-delete the problem account
-create new account
don't know what happened to it but did this many times and works every time!!!

em-j

em-j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Done both of these a thousand times. Will try again. But I've set up new identities and no matter what, I end up back here. J

em-j

em-j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Your two suggestions didn't fix it, but creating a whole new identity did. Unfortunately, in reinstalling Windows (my crisis 2 days ago), and/or exporting my email, I lost all Sent messages. They're genuinely gone -- I've looked everywhere. But it appears that I have fixed all of the problems. If all I lost was my sent folder, I guess I should just consider myself lucky and move on.

I really want to thank those of you who helped me. This is an amazing website and you really saved my hide. Thank you so much.