Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Change text on startbutton XP SP2 classic lay-out?

• Please log in to reply

KC-Holland

KC-Holland

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi there,

My question is quite simple, but the solution is too hard for me. Is there a way to change the text on the startbutton XP with SP2 running the classic lay-out?

I've seen several tweaks on the web, but they are mostly for SP1. Simple programs like startrenamer don't bring any satisfaction to me.

Hopefully someone can make a new description to do it, the old one on this forum doesn't work for me.

Thank you all!

KC-Holland

p.s. Please forgive me for my English, it's not so good :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Go to C:\windows, right click explorer.exe, choose copy, and right click in a different folder and choose paste (make backup of file)

Download resource hacker
http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

Extract, run, and then go to FILE > OPEN, and navigate to c:\windows and open EXPLORER.EXE

In Resource Hacker, go to STRING TABLE > 38 > 1033 and you will see 595 "Start"

Change Start to something else, taking care to keep the " " marks DO NOT FORGET THE quotation marks

Click COMPILE SCRIPT button on resource hacker

Click File SAVE AS, and name the file mystart.exe (or anything else, but for illustration purposes we will go with that)

Start regedit
start > run
regedit.exe
<enter>

Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Find SHELL in the RIGHT hand pane

double click

In the box that says explorer.exe, type
mystart.exe
click
OK

Close regedit

Logoff and log back on

voila

KC-Holland

KC-Holland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanx man!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
glad to help...the trick was the 38...windows xp uses a different one and I couldn't figure out why it wasn't changing.....

KC-Holland

KC-Holland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It worked, the startbutton is changed to crash ;-)
But something strange occured. When I make the change, my internet explorer does some strange things. When I open a new window in an internet window, the new one is completly white. Is there something to do against?

Thanx

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
completely white as opposed to....

The two issues should not be related as explorer.exe and iexplore.exe are not the same file

ar31791

ar31791

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok, I changed start to "stop" ... Yay!
Anyway, now when I try to make other explorer-like programs, they don't show up as them, and they don't work. They show up as regular executables [the ones that when you click on them, they pop up that "Run With..." box.
Could this be because the bits were changed to much? But we make it a new one using save as... in ResHack so it shouldn't matter right?
PLease Help....

KC-Holland

KC-Holland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

completely white as opposed to....

The two issues should not be related as explorer.exe and iexplore.exe are not the same file

I mean that if you're surfing and you want to open a link that opens in a new window, the new window is all white, instead of the site that should open. I tried it a few times, but it fails. Offcourse explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe are not the same file. But it's really weird. I think it has something to do with the change, because it only happend with the change and it occurred only those times.

I work with xp sp2, which has been upgraded from sp1