Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Command and Conquer Generals

• Please log in to reply

froggingbob

froggingbob

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello

I have an Acer Travelmate 240: Windows XP, 512mb RAM, 2.6Ghz thing, Intel® 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics controller and what seems like all that is neccessary to run command and conquer generals yet it runs very slowly.

I have been on the Intel website and looked up my particular graphics controller. There was a compatibility list with Generals marked as green (compatible with no problems) so why is it running so badly on my computer.

Hope someone can help, i've tried going to the OpenGL tab on Graphic properties and putting total memory footprint or something to high but it still goes slow. I've also downloaded driver updates for the graphics controller, i actually got more RAM (i had 256 and recently upgraded to 512mb) because i thought this could solve the issue but it didnt. I've also tried putting all the graphics settings on c+c to low but that doesnt work either.

Any help and i will be grateful.

Cheers

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
The Intel integrated graphics cards are quite weedy.
You could try updating your drivers from the Intel website.

froggingbob

froggingbob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I see. Well i have done that and it might have made a slight difference but its no where near as fast as it should be.

The thing is, on my other computer (some MESH desktop) which has a Radeon 7500 graphics card i think, it still runs slow. However, that computer only has 256mb RAM. Could this be the problem?

Cheers for the speedy reply.

froggingbob

froggingbob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Another question. What is it in c+c generals that my graphics card struggles with? This would be helpful because i can then stay away from certain games, or all new games if thats the case...

Thanks in advance

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Just games in general struggle with intel integrated gfx, if you get a gfx card even a cheaper one will be much better than the integrated gfx, the integraed is really meant to basically run your average desktop and some work applications and viewing some basic videos and presentations not games.

froggingbob

froggingbob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
And there is no possible way to upgrade the gfx card in a laptop? Its just really annoying, red alert 2 is like the best game, and generals looks so good if it would just speed up a little.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah kinda sucks there really isnt to much you can do with a laptop to upgrade they really arent meant to play games, its a shame generals is much better than red alert 2 its much less kids gamey than red alert 2.

froggingbob

froggingbob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
yeh i suppose so.

well thanks for the help anyway.

Agentx2

Agentx2

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
try lowering all of ure setts.

froggingbob

froggingbob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
hhehe, ive tried that, funnily enough it still doesnt work so well. I tried the game on a different DESKTOP computer and it was soo much better. Laptops suck for games, thats the lesson to be learnt here.