Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WhoIs.exe

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Kivrin

Kivrin

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Does anyone know what is "Whois.exe"? I was cleaning up my computer, getting rid of some old files and I found an file titled Whois.exe. I never open things that I don't recognize, especially if they come in an email!!! But this was already on my computer. And the date on it was from 1993!!!! I couldn't remember what it was, but like a silly person I assumed since it was on my computer I must have put it there, and from 1993 one would think it was safe!!! Anyway ... I opened it .... and it just opened that quick black box and closed it. I've seen that happen when a virus is installed. I'm running a virus scan now. And I searched the internet for Whois.exe. I don't find it listed in any of the virus searches. But I do find it in google as an IP address domain search. I searched here on Geeks and found a couple posts where people have suggested going to a arin.net/whois to search for information about an IP address.

So I've searched and tried to find the answer, and what I've found looks harmless, it looks like it's a search engine to find information on a domain.

That being said .. this is different ... it was an execute that ran on my computer, not a website that I went to to locate information. So I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this before, and what it might be doing on my computer. I'm not sure how it got here, and now that I've opened it, I'm not sure what it's doing!!!

Thanks so much for your help!!! Again, it's called Whois.exe and the date on the file was 1993, and when I opened it, it just opened that black box (like the DOS dialog box) and closed it real quickly.

Thanks!!!!!

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
closing this duplicate post. It's twin can be found in malware removal.