Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error loading Explorer.exe.

• Please log in to reply

benedicuk

benedicuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
All went according to plan until format C: when it says Bad command or file name

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Use all lower case...try that command again. If it fails, try each of the following...all lower case...note the spaces

format c: /s

format c: /s /v

format.com c:

benedicuk

benedicuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
all produce the same result Bad command or file name

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...we've got a verified partition that is active...I've got some more information on using your computer's setup...

1) Turn off the computer.
2) Hold down the ESC key and turn on the computer.
3) When you receive the following message: “Check system...Then press [F1] key,” press F1.

This method will take you to the first of two screens, each of which is a table showing default settings. To change (or view) the options available at any particular setting, use the arrow keys to move to the setting and press the space bar to scroll through the options. Look for an option to enable the use of an external keyboard or one that allows you to configure the Fn function key emulation for an external keyboard.

Let me know what you find, if anything. (my test machine is still formatting....)

benedicuk

benedicuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Ok have done that, enabled to Fn of ext kboard, have connected ext keyboard, it has no affect. Have restarted machine, still no use of ext kboard. BUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!! have accidently found a \ key The hash key produces a back slash !!!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try typing format /h

benedicuk

benedicuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Bad command or file name

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
With the ME cd in the drive, type extract ebd.cab format.com..."Enter"

benedicuk

benedicuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Sorry but Im going to have to go and get some sleep soon and hope that the stupid burglar alarm doesnt go crazy tonight. But at least we now have a \ key and the 6 XP boot files if and when you think we need them. And if the worst comes to the worst I guess I could buy a replacement hard drive on e-bay

benedicuk

benedicuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
It did Extracting format.com , running the fdd, and then then returned to A:\>

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's download a different bootdisk...you can overwrite the ME startup disk if you are low on floppies.

Download This to your desktop and double click on it. Put a floppy in the drive when prompted....

Put this in the ME machine in place of the ME startup disk and type format c: /s

benedicuk

benedicuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Can I do this tomorrow as I need to get some sleep

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:) I had burglar alarm problems last night, too. Multiple trips at one of the malls I handle security for. Turns out there was a pigeon flying around in there tripping the motion sensors.... :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sure.....I'll be here when you're ready.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try format c: or format c: /s real quick