Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! Unable to open any files and folders on desktop!

• Please log in to reply

nakiokevo

nakiokevo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Someone plz help me...
Yesterday, while I was running a program called "BeClean" on my computer... It froze when it got to cleanning the section of "ActiveX Control..."
I thought, what the [bleep], sooo I ctrl+alt+del... Where I ended it's process..
As soon as I ended "BeClean", I wasn't able to double click on any of my files and folders whatsoever!?!?....
Than, I rebotted my computer, and it became worst...
The loading time for the Start Bar Menu as well as icons on the desktop loaded very slow (while background still remained there..)
Later (when the icon and folders; as well as toolbars showed up), I wasn't able to open anything by double clicking~...
I am unable to enter "My Computer, nor Control Panel"..
I have checked that all my movies, games and documents still remained in the computer using the Dos Menu....

I have tried to use the XP disc in dos (since I cannot open anythin in windows) and opening the setup files trying to install fixes for XP... But that was no luck (unable to run .exe i guess)

I also tried try: EXEfix08 and exefix.reg to my problem~
When I run EXEfix08, nothing happens (ex.i type "A:\EXEfix08" run abit, than go to --> "A:\"
When I run exefix.reg, it gives me an error ("The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel")

Now I'm am stuck, and very upset (I do not wish to reformat ma computer)~

Someone plz tell me how I can fix this problem and get bak to ma oringinal PC state~
Replies are greatly appreciated~

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Since BeClean cleans the registry, have you tried loading into safemode and running system restore

tap f8 during bootup, choose safe mode, then go to system restore (start > help and support > system restore

Jake88

Jake88

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same system and the same problem.

I tried a safe boot, but I cannot get to system restore.