Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Netgear 108 Mbps Wireless ADSL Firewall Router

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm gonna ask some of the other guys/gals to poke their heads in here...go take a break..

Advertisements

Mikelfc

Mikelfc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
A full guide frew this will be kewl!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've posted a request for the other techs to come and offer a little help...as the root of the connection problem is deffinitly the fact that the NIC isn't connecting...sit tight

Mikelfc

Mikelfc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
thanks alot!!!

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Okay this is very very hard to figure out unless I was actually there it would take me 10 mins to figure out.

This is all I can tell you...... Its called troubleshooting..

Hook the dsl modem directly up to your pc's ethernet card. Dont use the router at all right now. We need to first find out if you can get onto the internet with a direct connection. Means just hook the dsl modem to pc.

"No routers as of right now" "Unhook any routers" Do not use anything but the modem directly hooked to pc!!!!

So, hook up the adsl router to the pc's network adapter using the cat5 networking cable. Reboot the pc and see if you can get onto the internet at all. Thats all I can help as of right now bud... After you do that, someone else can help you troublshoot more.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what's our status right now?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Had you logged into the router and run the setup wizard (autodetect connection type).Maybe I missed it, but all you seem to have done is connect things
Connect everything as illustrated in the manual and connect to the router by typing http://192.168.0.1 in the
address field of your Internet browser.

When prompted, enter admin for the user name and password
for the password, both in lower case letters.

If all works well, it should detect that this is a pppoe connection. If not, it will have to be set up manually.

I know you noted that this was AOL Broadband in your first post, but I missed that for some reason.

After your router automatically configures (if it does not, well, we have some work to do)

Follow these instructions

http://www.dslreport.../remark,6332885

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
LOL im a member on that site dslreports also.

Did he fix his problems or what??

Mikelfc

Mikelfc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
The thing is.... me computer dont recognise the router so i cant login the browser or nuffin :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just to refresh everyone in here...the main issue is that no matter what is done....the lan connection is showing as network cable unplugged...

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
That is weird. Have you guys tried everything possible??

The last thing to do would be to see if your routers manufacturer had a firmware flash.

Do you have another router laying around or a friends router to see if you have a bad router???

Have you contacted your dsl isp??

Edited by jrm20, 13 January 2006 - 04:56 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

just to refresh everyone in here...the main issue is that no matter what is done....the lan connection is showing as network cable unplugged...

Wait a minute...we do not actually know that, do we? He showed you a network properties picture when he was plugged in directly to his adsl modem, and had disconnected his router because he could not get on with it.

That does not mean he has a network cable unplugged error when he is connected

Listen, let's simplify

WITH THE ROUTER AND COMPUTER OFF

Phone line comes from the wall

Connect the line to the ADSL MODEM

Connect the line from the ADSL modem to the correct port on the DG834GT/GTB firewall router.

Connect the Ethernet cable © from a LAN port of your DG834GT/GTB to the Ethernet adapter in your computer.

Plug in the router and verify the following:

Do you see power lights?

Is the ADSL link light solid green, indicating a link has been established to the ADSL network?

Now, turn on your computer and verify the following:

The local lights are lit for any connected computers.

If software usually logs you in to the Internet, do not run it.

The Internet Explorer Tools Internet Options Connections page
should be set to “Never dial a connection.”

Did you install a filter on each phone device that shares the phone line
with your router.
Phone
DSL
Line
Note: Use one-line filters for connecting additional phones.

OPEN IE, in the address bar, type

http://192.168.0.1 in the
hit enter

b. When prompted, enter
admin
for the user name and
password
for the password, both in lower case letters.

Anything?

Mikelfc

Mikelfc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
dun dat abuv ^^ still noffin, all lights work and dat, just wont login to the admin thing

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
I'd have to ditto gerryf on this one -- the picture you took just looked like you were connected directly to your modem.

First of all:

Netgear 108 Mbps Wireless ADSL Firewall Router DG834GT

Do you want to use this router wirelessly or wired? Now, just to go with the general flow of this topic, I'm going to assume you want to use it wired.

Right-click on My Network Places --> select Properties --> right-click on your LAN connection --> select Properties --> click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) --> Now press the Properties button --> Ensure that Obtain an IP Address automatically and Obtain DNS Server address automatically are selected.

Please re-do the following:
With the modem, router and all computers off
  • Phone line comes from the wall
  • Connect the line to the ADSL MODEM
  • Connect the line from the ADSL modem to the correct port on the DG834GT/GTB firewall router.
  • Connect the Ethernet cable © from a LAN port of your DG834GT/GTB to the Ethernet adapter in your computer.
  • Plug in / turn on the Modem -- wait for the modem to start up (this can take upwards of two minutes)
  • Plug in / turn on the router -- wait for the router to start up (this can take upwards of two minutes)
  • Now, turn on your computer.
Run the Network Setup Wizard:
  • Goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Setup Wizard.
  • The first thing to do when the wizard appears is read the welcome message, and then click Next.
  • Read the 'Before you continue....' message, and then click Next.
  • Select the option This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway or another computer on my network, and then press Next.
  • Now, type in a Description for your computer; ie: Jimmy's Computer.
  • Enter a Computer Name (or leave it as it's Default), and then press Next.
  • Enter a Workgroup Name -- or leave it as it's default, and then press Next.
  • If you want to share files and/or your printer with other computers on the network, select the option Turn on file and printer sharing and press Next.
  • Check the information; if it is all fine, press Next.
  • Now, if possible, you should Create a Network Setup Disk -- once you have created a Network Setup Disk, insert it into any other computer on your network, and run it; follow all prompts.
Now, please goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK' and then type: IPCONFIG /ALL - please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing Ctrl+C, and then posting on this forum. Alternately, you can save your information to a text file by using the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL > C:\ipconfig.txt -- navigate to that text file, and copy/paste the information from it.

You should, theoretically, be able to connect to your Router's web console now, by typing http://192.168.0.1 in your Internet Explorer Address Bar --> When prompted, enter admin for the user name and password for the password, both in lower case letters.

If you still cannot, then please do the following:
Goto Start --> Run --> Type CMD --> Type ping 192.168.0.1 --> please copy/paste the results.

Test your Network
1. Goto Start, Run, type: NETSH DIAG GUI - press 'OK'. A Command Prompt window will open temporarily; don't touch it, it will disappear in a moment.
2. A Microsoft Help and Support window will then open; select the option 'Scan your system'.
3. Wait for the scan to finish and then scroll down to the heading 'Modems and Network Adapters'. Look at 'Network Adapters' (don't expand it yet). Beside your connection information, you should see a green 'PASSED'; if you do not (if you see a red 'FAILED') then expand 'Network Adapters', scroll down the list until you see the heading with the 'FAILED', expand that option and copy and paste the results here.
In the NETSH DIAG GUI, you should be looking for any red 'FAILED', however the key one is Network Adapters for you. If you see any other red FAILED, expand the component and copy the results.

rossko_uk

rossko_uk

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I had this problem. I just uninstalled Norton Antivirus and everything worked fine!!