Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Content Management for webpages...

• Please log in to reply

Mr. J

Mr. J

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey folks --

I run a small group of webpages 9personal stuff, mostly). I use Moveable Type 3.2 for three of them, as they are predominantly weblogs. I also have a "standard" webpage that I want to use for longer articles and some other purposes. It's been sitting stagnant

I'm looking for a good content management tool that will let me maintain the standard-style webspace without going in and hacking html. I need the following characteristics:

1. Hot views -- WYSIWYG is fine, or a "view page" option as I tinker with the graphics and layout would be okay as well. I will want the ability to hand jam html/php as needed, however.

2. Local working copy -- I need to be able to work on the webspace offline, and then...

3. One click updating -- Currently, I'm using some seriously outdated tools that let me create the html/php and then I have to ftp the updates to the server by hand. I'd like to get something that can handle updates in one fell swoop. FWIW, I was doing this with Arachnophilia before.

4. Templates/CSS support. Naturally, I want to maintain similar look and feel across major sections of the site.

5. Freeware/shareware is preferred. I can't afford to spend much for the tool.

I think that covers the biggest needs for my stuff.

FWIW, the site I intend to use this for is:

http://www.garageofxanadu.com

TIA,
Mr. J

Advertisements

Magosis

Magosis

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 190 posts
possibly look for the 30 day trial of macromedia dreamweaver 8, that is what i recomend

www.macromedia.com

I have had good luck with it.

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Have a look at drupal.org, I haven't tried it yet, but may be it'll be useful. I heard it is a very good community webpage(s) manager, probably in the same branch as Movable Type.