Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Components.

• Please log in to reply

Whitters

Whitters

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I hope this is the right forum for my questions, if it isn't sorry.

I'm looking to purchase a a new customized desktop. Ive customized two different computers, from two different companies, and since some of the components are better, I was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions on which are better. Below are the parts which are different.

Processors
a. Pentium D Processor 830 w/ Dual Core Technology (3GHz, 800FSB)
b. Intel Pentium 4 640 w/ HT Technology 3.2GHz

Graphics Card
a. 256MB PCI Express x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X600 SE HyperMemory
b. 256MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce 6600, TV-out and DVI

Sound Card
a. Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic (D), w/Dolby Digital 5.1
b. Sound Blaster Audigy 4, 24-bit ADVANCED HD Audio

CD/DVD Drives
a. Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write capability
b. LightScribe Double Layer 16x max. DVD+/-R/RW

And now maybe you could give advice on the brands of computer. All of the a. components are from a Dell XPS 400, and the b. componens are from a HP a1350y.

Thanks for any help that you guys can give me!

Advertisements

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Pentium D 830
Dual drives(its always nice to have 2 cd drives)
i dont know anything about sound cards (onboard is always enough 4 me)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If the computer is going to be for gaming dont get a dell, if the computer is going to be anything other than advanced mutlimedia tasks and high end business software you would be better not getting an intel system, AMd is cheaper and more suited to the average home user/medium use gamer and multimedia. Intels cost more and arent as good except at certain things.

Also dells are a pain and the XPS systems are a little overpriced.

X-fi cards are the top of the pile, its got enough processing power to put most cpus to shame, its pretty good.

The 6600 is the better cards but neither are particularly good.

Whitters

Whitters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Can anyone give me a recommendation for what specs/brand I should be looking for?

I need the computer to be able to be networked, ability to run multimedia software, and want to be able to play Sims 2 and RCT 3 at least. Its a computer for school, but I'd like to be able to play games too.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well it depends completely on where you live if you are wanting a custom build self build we can help you put a system to suit your needs anywhere you are, also whats your budget like.

Youll get much much more from a build yourself job but thats only if you have the time to put into it. Its a good hobby a fun thing to do good learning experience, from what you say you want it for you would be better with an AMD system over an intel biggest factor AMD are cheaper and have a true 64 bit and the dual core from AMD is also much better, and they are obviously much better at playing games, intel is good if you do a lot of sound and audio ripping and you do alot of that kind of thing all the time, if youre like me and rip mp3s only every other month if youre lucky then the fact that an intel is faster by 3 seconds when ripping an mp3 doesnt matter but the money you save on the cpu and better game performance and noise reduction is.