Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hooking up a wireless and regular router at same time

• Please log in to reply

SacKings384

SacKings384

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I have this problem. The computer I currently have is hooked up to a traditional router. I.E One with wires. Now I'm FINALLY getting a computer in my room, however I won't be able to get the wire to my room as I have no attic to run it through nor do I have a crawlspace under my floor. So I intended on buying a wireless router until I realized that the current computer I have does not have a wireless card. At least I don't think it does. Not sure how I would find out. So what I was thinking is there any way to have my regular comp still hooked up to the regular router, and have my comp in my room hooked up to a wireless one? Please Help my computer arrives in a week. Sorry about all the posts, I didn't see the other forums and I found that there were forums more fit to what I need (I.E the Networking forum) but I couldn't delete the post.

Edited by SacKings384, 09 January 2006 - 03:18 PM.

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Moved to networking forum.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi SacKings384,

You can purchase many routers with capacity for both Wired and Wireless connections. If you're unsure, you should just ask the guy at the store; he will tell you if it can take both connections. With a 'dual' router, you will then be able to connect both computers, and both computers will be on the same network etc...

It's also not overly difficult to install Wireless Adapters; however in your case it's really not necessary.

Hope this helps,
Dan.

Leroy Lim

Leroy Lim

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
You can connect a dual router that means using a combination of wireless router and traditional router.