Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardware Configuration

• Please log in to reply

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hey everyone. This is probably going to sound like a very stupid question, but I am going to ask it anyway. I presently have 2 hard drives and 2 optical drives in my computer. I have the hard drives wired in properly so that the computer recognizes both of them (one master and one slave) but I am having trouble with the optical drives. I am using standard IDE cables to hook them to the MB. My question is in the way they are hooked in and the configuration of the jumpers on each CD drive. The way that I have it now is one IDE cable plugged into both drives and then to the IDE port on the MB. The other port is taken by the cable with the hard drives. I looked at the back of the CD drives and noticed the jumper. I know that it will have to be in a specific position to work as a second drive, but I am not sure which position it will be in. Can anyone help me with this?

Edited by The_Shadow_630, 10 January 2006 - 11:30 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Most newer computers will work with both cdrom drives set to cable select, but there are a few that just wont work that way. On the cable, the end connector is considered the master of the cable and the middle connector is slave. Also, the cable may have one end connector a different color as the other two connectors. This odd color connector should be hooked to the motherboard( i have seen a stripe around the connector also). You can set the cdrom drive on the end as master with the jumper, and set the cdrom connected to the middle connector as slave on the jumper. If you still have problems try using a different(new) cable to connect the drives to the MB.

SRX660