Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yet another "Limited or No Connectivitiy"

• Please log in to reply

sonofguido

sonofguido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
When I installed the ethernet card, I loaded the drivers from the disk that came with it. So I figure that the drivers on the disk are up-to-date, and dont need to be updated.

SOG

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
never assume that a product ships with the right drivers...go to the website and see if there are newer ones available ( it's a longshot...but we're running out of ideas there...)

sonofguido

sonofguido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'm not exactly sure what the website is for this Ethernet card. I've looked on the box and in paper work to see if there was a website, but can't find one. So, I just did a google search for this card. The ethernet card is a DAVICOM 9102/A PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter. If someone can perhaps help me and guide me to where I might be able to find updated drivers, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

SOG

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
wow...never heard of that company...let me look around

kate22in

kate22in

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Try assigning static ip in the range of router and check if you are able to ping the router

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
heheheh thanks kate...i knew i missed a troubleshooting step

sonofguido

sonofguido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yes, my dad pinged the router earlier.

SOG

sonofguido

sonofguido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I am not sure if what I'm looking at or what I'm downloading are the drivers, but if they are, I don't know what to do with them. It's not like it's an .exe file or anything. :tazz: ... this is really bugging me why the computer won't connect to the internet!

John0

John0

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
For what it's worth... 2 more c's...

With my similar situation... I did try WinsockXPFix (see earlier post), but no good... I've gone through assigning static IP's, no good... I did get a result by deleting and resetting both the LAN and internet settings on the primary PC via the Windows wizard and then doing an ipconfig /renew on everything else... at the end of the day everything was working fine everything talking to everything else, all having internet access shared off the primary PC... but then after shutting down and starting up the next day... started getting the "limited or no connection" thing again!!!

With assigning static IP's i could get the LAN not showing "limited or no connection" but then there was no internet access or LAN access!?!?!

This is a very odd situation... i've taked to a number of very experienced folks about this and all are stumped!?

Will follow posts with interest... will post if i get close to a solution...

J

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

With assigning static IP's i could get the LAN not showing "limited or no connection" but then there was no internet access or LAN access!?!?!

Are you sure you assigned an IP within the range designated by your Router?

sonofguido:
Have you set up your girlfriends computer properly to be on the Network? Have you run the Windows Network Setup Wizard? The "169.259...." IP you're recieving would suggest that your girlfriends computer is not properly configured to be on a Network.

Advertisements

sonofguido

sonofguido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I had my father come over and manually assign an IP to my girlfriend's computer. He used the same IP for my computer, but the last set of numbers he increased it 1 number higher than mine. When he did all this, the "limited or no connectivity" went away, and now says "connected." BUT... when I open the internet browser, no page comes up (I cannot open any webpages). Any suggestions? If you have any questions or need anything cleared up, feel free to ask. Thanks again everyone!

SOG

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Have you run the Network Setup Wizard?

Edited by Dan G, 13 January 2006 - 08:51 PM.

fay47

fay47

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
I have a cable modem so things may not work the same way.
For some reaons I had to change my cmputers as follows:
  • use static local IP address for both machines - in the form of 192.168.0.1. ( I think this might have been because I need to be able to set up port forwarding in my router software. THe subnet mask for both was 255.255.255.0.
  • The computer name on each had to be unique - the work group for both computers had to be identical.
  • The last octet of the ip address had to be idfferent.
  • the log on names for each computer had to be set up on the other computer
  • the physical address - the MAC address is tied to the NIC card and should be different for each computer.
  • I thought I remember having to activate Internet Sharing - but can't find where that was done, so maybe using a router handles that - not sure

Then if both computers are signed on, each should be able to see the others computer in MY Network Places>View Workgroup COmputers

None of this may be of any help. It is just some things I ran into when setting up my home network between xp and 98.

Fay

sonofguido

sonofguido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yes, I ran Network Setup Wizard multiple times. My father and I have done everything that we can think of to get the computer connected to the internet. From my computer (the working computer), I can see my girlfriend's computer under My Network Places. The "Local Area Connection" says connected, and obviously it's connected to the network correctly if I can see my girlfriend's computer from mine. It is just not connecting to the internet when I open the internet browser. At one point, I even thought that it might have been something wrong with internet explorer, so I installed Mozilla Firefox on the computer. It STILL would not connect to the internet. I don't know what to do! lol... :tazz: And just to restate it, I do not know if trying to set up a network would work. I say this because I have already bypassed the router and connected my girlfriend's computer directly to the back of the modem. The computer still will not connect to the internet. So, I figured since it won't even connect to the internet while directly connected to the modem, then running Network Setup will not help (perhaps). This is a very odd situation, but thanks again everyone. I appreciate everyone's input and assistance.

SOG

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
have you tried going to internet options, lan settings and check the "automatically detect settings" box?

is the internet protocol box checked in the network adapter properties?

is your router firmware set to a restricted network access that is permission based by mac address?

sorry just questions that were lingering in my mind as i was reading this post. im not exactly a networking pro, but thought i could add my two cents as well.
but anyways ill shuddup now
xP