Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Macromedia Flash/Shockwave not working

• Please log in to reply

MandyLynn

MandyLynn

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Guess I'll start with the info: I'm using Windows XP and Internet Explorer Version 6. Forgive me, I don't know the difference between Macromedia Flash Player and Macromedia Shockwave Player so I'm not sure which one is causing the problem. I cannot view flash movies on websites. When I go www.macromedia.com, I cannot see the flash movie at the top (someone mentioned this in a post). If I check the control panel, I see Macromedia Flash Player Version 8 and Shockwave Player (version unknown). I have tried to download both programs but they will not download.

Sorry if it's not enough info, I'm new. Thanks for any replies.

Advertisements

MandyLynn

MandyLynn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
No replies... Do you need more information? Any suggestions at all? This is driving me crazy.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you get it from here

http://www.filehippo...flashplayer_ie/

MandyLynn

MandyLynn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I click to download but it doesn't do anything.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try this, as much to see if you can download anything, then before you run through it, click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click to view downloaded program files then right click and click delete for any macromedia files, confirm delete

Then

Download, install and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete.

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click optimize and improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

MandyLynn

MandyLynn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I couldn't download the TuneUp Utilities 2006. A small window popped up saying that I am not autorized to view the page. I right clicked and "Save Target As" but I got an error saying the page was unavailable. I also tried from the two other sites at the bottom, but again I was not authorized.

I guess my problem goes a little bit deeper than just Macromedia.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then control panel, click network and internet then internet options

On the general tab, click delete cookies, click delete files, include offline content, click clear history. If you have broadband / cable (fast) click settings and reduce the drive space used to 30MB, although you can reduce it to 1MB

Click apply after each change. Click the security tab and click default, click privacy and click default, click programmes and click reset web settings, click advanced to tick, do not save encrypted pages to disc and empty the temporary internet files folder when the browser is closed, click apply

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm delete.

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools, to run disc clean up, reboot and then try Tune Up, if you can install that, run through post 5 then try Macromedia from post 3 using Internet Explorer

MandyLynn

MandyLynn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I appreciate all of your help, but it still won't work. I still am unable to download the TuneUp program. I get the 403 Forbidden error.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
SYMPTOMS
When you try to view a Web site after you connect to your Internet service provider (ISP) by using a dial-up connection, you may receive the following error message:
403 Forbidden
You were denied access because:
Access denied by access control list.
However, you may still be able to send and receive e-mail messages, and you may still be able to access the Internet from any other user account on the computer.
CAUSE
This issue can occur if the connection for your ISP is damaged.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, create a new connection to your ISP.

MandyLynn

MandyLynn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Keith, would that apply to me even though I'm using cable internet?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I would go with yes because it can be a service provider problem, provided you have the input details, (password, log in name) you can disable the current one, create a new one to see if it runs, if not, you can delete the new one and enable the existing one

You can run this

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

System File Check will show an on screen blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

MandyLynn

MandyLynn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
How do I make a new connection? I'd like to try that.
I can't do the sfc/scannow because the XP did not come with my computer. It's a Compaq Presario.
I really appreciate the help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then control panel, click network and internet then network connections, right click the one you have, click disable

Click create new connection, follow the wizard, you will need to name it, anything, then you will need your ISP account username and log in details

If it does not change anything, you can delete it and then enable the previous one