Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP takes extremely long to shutdown

• Please log in to reply

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I downloaded and ran CCleaner. It fixed some issues that it found. Also, I ran chkdsk numerous times and it found problems. I used the /f (fix) and it wasn't able to do so without a restart. I did this process numerous times and every time it says I must restart. Is there a way to run chkdsk and it not be in safe mode because I am thinking that is the reason it isn't working.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
go here and get x-setup

http://www.computerb.../utilities.html

install it, start it.

GO to STARTUP/SHUTDOWN > WINDOWS NT/2k/xp > PROGRAM SHUTDOWN
Select AUTOSHUTDOWN, click enable
Select PROGRAM TIMEOUT, and turn on EXIT from 20 to 5

GO to STARTUP/SHUTDOWN > WINDOWS NT/2k/xp > SERVICES SHUTDOWN

Select SERVICE TIMEOUT
change default 20 to 5
Click APPLY CHANGES

EXIT PROGRAM.

REboot.

Try a shutdown now...make a difference?

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I ran another chkdsk and found no errors...

Also I downloaded the x-setup program and made the suggested tweaks. I am going to let my computer run for a while because that is when I have the problems. I will let you know how it works.

Thank you both for your time and help, it is greatly appreciated!

Agentx2

Agentx2

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
yes. you can run chkdsk in normal mode. chkdsk/f will always be suggested to do but will never really fix anything most of the time. just run it once and if it finds something like recovering or orpahaned or deleted then type in chkdsk 1 more time then make sure you ran ccleaner under the Windows and application tab and the reg issuses tab then do a chkdsk in cmd promt twice with no /f and then do a defrag the if u have adware the latest version 1.06r1 updated run that then it should help. and diskcleanup to and check for cookies.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
AdAware won't help with this problem. :tazz: All AdAware does is remove adware from a computer. It is not a "fix all". It doesn't remove hijackers, or trojans, or viruses, or rootkits. It doesn't magically fix hardware or o/s problems.

Non-Staff members are NOT allowed to give malware removal advice anywhere on the site. :) AdAware is a malware removal tool.

Agentx2

Agentx2

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
i have nearly sometimes had it with this site i dont usually like things simple you say you are a "very complex person" try me. When i have the time of my own i will make a better site than this but for now i guess ill go n with this but for adware for you thats what you think it is somewhat a fix if you have the right version and keep it updated and it does remove hijackers, spyware and cookies and adware (rarely spyware) but what some ppl sugest is not always right or the right tool or the right fix. I keep hearing about freewebs.com to make your own website. is that really free? (then y didnt you pay more attention to the app.?=mine). no replies from me for a month unless someone agrees with at least 25% or more of what im saying. later gals and guys. ( adware se personnal is more than a malware removal tool its what i call a decent program)

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
The x-setup program did not really work...I changed the options that you had listed but it did not really cut off any time...thank you though...do you think it could be a hardware issue?