Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop problems

• Please log in to reply

jasonpeinko

jasonpeinko

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
My friend has a laptop where it freeked our real bad so i reinstalled windows for him. But after reinstalling the screen was real small. (did not fill the whole screen). and he cant change the resolution. I reinstalled windows again with a different disk and the same problem.

What is the problem?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi jasonpeinko!

The reason the screen is small is that the video drivers are not installed for the laptop. What is the make & model of the laptop and I can help you find the drivers for it.

Fenor

jasonpeinko

jasonpeinko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
ok,

Dell inspiron 1100

thank you so much

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Windows XP or 2000 is installed on this machine?

Fenor

jasonpeinko

jasonpeinko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
xp

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
YOu can get the Video driver from HERE. Save it to a location you will remember. After it's done downloading, navigate to where you saved it and double-click it to run it. Follow the onscreen instructions on installing the driver. At the end you will be told you need to reboot your computer for the changes to take effect. Do so, and after the laptop is rebooted you should now be able to change the resolution and color depth.

Fenor

jasonpeinko

jasonpeinko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
thank you

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Your welcome. Are you having any other problems with the laptop? Like no sound or anything like that? Right-click MY COMPUTER and select PROPERTIES. In the new window that appears, click on the HARDWARE tab and then click the DEVICE MANAGER button. In the new window that appears, are their any items listed that have yellow exclamation/questions marks next to them?

Fenor

jasonpeinko

jasonpeinko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
yes we are the drivers fixed it and it works but he has a Belkin Wireless pre-N notebook network card and it will not work. It worked before the reinstall. It has lights to show it is connected to the comp but they do not light up

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Did you use the installation disk to install the driver and utlity software for it? If you don't have it, then I need the model # so I can direct you to the right download for it.

Fenor