Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

will the geforce 6600 graphics card work for me?

• Please log in to reply

Gibby

Gibby

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I want to purchase black and white 2 and run it with high detail and and effects. The manufacturer of the game says this "* Black&White 2 requires a 64MB video card with 1.1 Pixel Shader support. Supported video cards: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti series, GeForce FX series, GeForce 6200 or greater; ATI Radeon 8500 or greater, ATI Radeon X300 or greater. DirectX 9.0c is included on this disc and may require the latest drivers for your video and sound card."
I was thinking of buying the "eVGA GeForce 6600LE 256mb card". Can I use this card and be satisfied? my budget is around $100 or slightly more. this card exceeds that but i dont really know by how much. any suggesstions on a good card?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
gonna move this over to Sytem bulding and overclocking as you'll probably get a better response

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I need to know what slot you have on your motherboard for a video card.

Agp or pci express. Hope you dont have regular pci.

the 6600le will play the game but you wont get much of a card for $100. I would spend a tad more.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
None of the 6600s i know will not play the game very well on high settings they just dont have the chops, i think the cheapest that would play it on high would be something like an x800GT/GTO budget but with all the basics of a faster card.

Gibby

Gibby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have PCI express. I also plan to spend alot more than origionally planned i have a budget of $200. I guess my question now is will the "HIS Hightech H160PRQ256N Radeon X1600PRO 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 IceQ CrossFire Ready Video Card" work far better and allow me to play games with high settings? Or which cards do you suggest. The "HIS Hightech" company has some variations on this card and others. What kinds of specifactions are significant things to be looking for?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
You would think that the x1600pro would be fast but its not. Its only 12.8 Gb/s on the memory bandwith. Its only 128 bit and its gddr2 not gddr3.

http://www.hisdigita.../x1k_promo.html

For $190 you can get a nvidia 6800gs that is 32Gb/s memory bandwith. More than twice as fast as that X1600pro.. That x1600pro is even slower than a 6600gt 256mb version would be.

Get either a nvidia 6800gs or an ati x800 gt or above.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I dont even know fo any shops that sell the x1600 everyone just sell different versions of the x1800 and ATI are cheap in Europe so there isnt much point in the x1600 really. ^800GS would be a good choice or an x850 if you can get one but i dont know how they are priced in the us.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Newegg sells that ati x1600pro but DO NOT get it!!

Edited by jrm20, 13 January 2006 - 04:47 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
lol, ATI always comes out with one rubbish card in every generation, i think they do it for traditions sake now, dont know why they released x1600 when they offer x1800s so ridiculously cheap and they are only gonna get cheaper when they release the x1900s.

strikermed

strikermed

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Warrior Scot... I can tell your a big fan of the Radeon Chipset.... I am too... by the way thanks for the help on that CPU removal... and I decided to go with the X800GTO... found it in my price range with a rebate.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thats cool, well im an ATI fan at the moment only because the hardware is mostly superior at the price they sell them for, but its not a blind liking itss what i think aftr reading the gazillion reviews i come across, Nvidia might be better next generation have to wait and see, although if Nvidia are still going to continue with the high pricing they always use then ill stick with ATI because at least i know its a fair price for what im getting..

Gibby

Gibby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey thanks again for all your help, I think I will get the radeon x800xl, found one on newegg for $194.00. My next question is will I now need a bigger power supply? I have a dell dimension 4700 with a 305 watt power supply and I have come across some reviews of this card that reccomend around a 400+watt power supply. Is that really neccesary? I have one cd drive connected and two hard drives.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Oh yeah definately need a new PSU, 300W is barely enough for most systems even without a powerful gfx card.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
It would run it but I would really recommend getting a better power supply.

300 watts isnt really enough power for that video card and in the near future it might go bad or your video card will have problems or either your computer will keep on restarting in games.

Since you have a dell pc you have to get one specifically designed for dell.

It costs more but you have no choice...

I dont like messing with dells at all..

I know for shure that this power supply will work and fit specifically for your dell dimension 4700 pc.

This is the only one compatable with your pc.

http://www.pcpowerco...t.php?show=S47D

Its either that or stick with your current power supply and see if it has enough juice.

Maybe you can try it out on your current powersupply first and see if its stable and doesnt reboot the pc constantly.

If it does then buying this powersupply is the next and final step.

This will solve all of your problems.