Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Machine Running way too slow

• Please log in to reply

pearcetopher

pearcetopher

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all, i recently got this machine and its only putting out 1500 mb/s. I am upset over why it is doing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated

CPU Properties:
CPU Type Intel Celeron D 336
CPU Alias Prescott-256
CPU Stepping E0
Engineering Sample No
CPUID CPU Name Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.80GHz
CPUID Revision 00000F41h

CPU Speed:
CPU Clock 3086.81 MHz (original: 2800 MHz, overclock: 10%)
CPU Multiplier 21.0x
CPU FSB 146.99 MHz (original: 133 MHz, overclock: 11%)
Memory Bus 220.49 MHz

CPU Cache:
L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
L1 Data Cache 16 KB
L2 Cache 256 KB (On-Die, ECC, ATC, Full-Speed)

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 63-1607-009999-00101111-112405-SIS661FX$100XX001_BIOS DATE: 11/24/05 20:11:11 VER: 08.00.09
Motherboard Name Asus P5S800-VM (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)

Chipset Properties:
Motherboard Chipset SiS 661FX
Memory Timings 3-3-5-6 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

SPD Memory Modules:
DIMM1: Samsung M3 68L6423ETM-CCC 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz) (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz)

BIOS Properties:
System BIOS Date 11/24/05
Video BIOS Date 04/19/05
DMI BIOS Version 1016.007

Graphics Processor Properties:
Video Adapter nVIDIA GeForce FX 5500
GPU Code Name NV34B (AGP 8x 10DE / 0326, Rev A1)
GPU Clock 304 MHz
Memory Clock 223 MHz

Advertisements

pearcetopher

pearcetopher

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
anyone?

pearcetopher

pearcetopher

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hmm nobodys helpful

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download, install and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete.

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click optimize and improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

If no change

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get an onscreen blue progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click more options then clean up restore points, click confirm, click OK. Then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete, then reboot

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should and you can check for any improvement

FidelGonzales

FidelGonzales

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I too am having issues with my computer.

I ran a full sweep using the recommended malware software, which turned up several malicious files, but they have since been cleaned, and I personally have not found any others after repeated scans. I opened a thread several weeks ago in the malware section and have been in the waiting room for a few days but have not had any assistance yet. Nevertheless, I am now beginning to believe there may be an issue with the computer itself.

I have downloaded the Tune Up software and performed several operations designed to speed things up. When running CHKDSK, the computer got to stage four of five at 22 percent and didn't seem to move any more after approximately four hours. I then rebooted. I do recall something similar occurring previously, possibly with CHKDSK.

How much time should a CHKDSK take to completely run?
Being that it seems I may have an error, how do I make a repair?
Should I keep this subject included in my malware thread?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I have just taken your topic in malware and I will follow this topic as well if you are posting in it

FidelGonzales

FidelGonzales

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thank you. I'll reply there so as not to create any confusion and keep the complete topic maintained within one thread. Thanks.

http://www.geekstogo...nd-t171165.html