Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a New PC need Help

• Please log in to reply

DeathOutdone

DeathOutdone

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
Hi, was wondering if jrm could find some products on newegg for me:

I want to build a new gaming PC: Don't worry too much about budget, cause I am not sure what i want it to be- but, i am going to buy a lot, so, the budget isn't going to be that low anyways..I want a good CPU and graphics card but not ridiculously good-not like 1000 or 500 for each-less than 500 for each probably...I dont want this to cost several thousand, although with the accessories I realize it could definetly do that...I mean, i dont want to waste a good deal of money getting the best of everything- medium-good everything is fine.

Can you find online for me :

-Hard drive
-Floppy drive, CD drive, and DVD drive
-PSU
-Sound card
-Speakers
-Motherboard (with PCI express compatibility)
-Graphics card (not sure whether ATI or NVIDIA, but NVIDIA did better on most gaming tests, so maybe look more for those) I want a good graphics card since im a gamer
-Monitor ( LCD type, with a wide display screen and very high up/with stand since I am tall)
-Keyboard (comfortable ergonomic one)
-Mouse- Im not sure whether a wireless, laser or regular is better- newegg doesnt seem to sell them...
-A good computer chair and desk (not on newegg either but necessary)
- A light for the computer desk
-A storage unit for my games, to put them in.
-Computer Case (one with cool eyes or some such Alienware, a cool-looking but large case)

I have found RAM and processor ideas:

Ram: Here is a list of what I want (2 X 512 MB ) aka 1 Gig roughly - there are 4 options, should I go with the faster one? What do you think?;

http://www.newegg.co...Submit=Property

CPU: Im pretty sure I want this one:

AMD Athlon 64 3800 Venice: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103531

Thanks!

Edited by DeathOutdone, 11 January 2006 - 04:40 AM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
An nvidia 7800gt / 7800gtx or an ati x1800xl or xt would be affordable for you.

Get a good quality motherboard like dfi, abit, msi, gigabyte are ok..

Get corsair memory, they are the #1 leader in memory.

Get a true power, powersupply like antec, enermax, ultra or thermaltake.

A good monitor is samsung for a great deal.

Creative soundblaster is a good company for sound cards. They make many. Get an xtreme music sound card atleast. No less than an audigy 2.

Logitech makes good speakers.

You really only need 1 dvd burner only. Sony, plextor, lg, many others..

Get a pretty good harddrive like a 200gb with atleast 8mb cache. 16mb cache would be better but more expensive just a tad.

Any floppy drive is good.

There is many choices on cases, I cant look for you right now, im at school and they block many sites.

I can help you more at home later today. :tazz:

DeathOutdone

DeathOutdone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
Thanks a lot so far, the RAM i posted in the 1st post is Corsair, its 1024 mb (2 sticks of 512) and the processor is Athlon 64 3800 (if i can afford it)...cause i really want a good one like that.

Read back to that post again for the links to newegg

I dont think an X1800 would be affordable, thats the top of the line in terms of ATI's and QUITE Expensive...for a graphics card. The NVIDIA's i dont know about otehr than, that is pretty high as well, and prolly pretty expesnive- i dont want the graphics card to cost 400 or 500, cause it seems a waste to get the expensive best of the line when they just upgrade in a few years anyways and get way better and the old ones get obsolete.

For cases, Here is one Option: I really like how cool it looks, its green and black, check it out here and let me know what u think: http://www.newegg.co...s...ly - Retail

That is the picture....heres the product: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811208001 its 64.99

What do u think? I looked at a lotta cases but none of them are "cool" like what i wanted..glowing colors and stuff- they either too bright or just weird/wacky lol...or too plain colored...but the XION is somewhat like what im lookin for...people need to design cooler lookin cases IMO

Edited by DeathOutdone, 11 January 2006 - 05:45 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
LOL, the only thing when you get a case that comes with a powersupply is you have to worry if it will burn out soon or not. Its always a good idea to get a case that doesnt come with a powersupply and get your own. You need to get a true power, power supply that will not burn out like those cheap ones. It might be okay though.

Look into the nvidia 6800gs which is the best bang for the buck high end card. Its around $190-$230 us dollars and well worth it. It will play any game on high settings. If your into ati get an x800 gt or above.

If you do get an nforce4 chipset motherboard it is better to get a nvidia video card of course. It will still work but I would stick with the same maker.

Check this out...

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150118

For the memory, the corsair valueselect would be fine. If your a hard gamer and not on a strict budget then the xms series would be better. By the way on the amd motherboards you can only use ddr memory not ddr2. There isnt 4 choices in that link you posted. DDR2 is not compatable and will not fit. You need to get pc 3200 memory. You now need to pick out a motherboard which should always be the first thing next to the cpu. Msi, abit, dfi, some gigabyte are ok... Typically the more you spend the better its going to be of course on motherboards.

Gamers lcd monitor.. 8ms which is great for gaming.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824001072

For motherboards pick between these:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813127222

OR

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813127212

Id go for the more expensive one for just abit more.. Remember its good to get all good quality parts in the whole pc. You get what you pay for.

ok thats a good start, ill cya for now.

Tell me what you think bye.

DeathOutdone

DeathOutdone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
Allright, for the graphics card I'll go with the NVIDIA 6800 GS, with the link you found me,
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150118.

For ram, whats the difference between the XMS and regular? I did a XMS corsair search on newegg and didn't find anything really.

You're right, I do need to pick out a motherboard next- because mobos gotta be compatible with the graphics cards and CPU's right? Whats DDR versus DDR2 and why dont i want DDR2 why why do i specifically need PC3200 memory?

I think I'll go with this motherboard: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813127212

For the Hard drive, do I want around a 250 gigabyte one? What brands are good?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Amd's motherboards DO NOT allow ddr2 memory. You can only use ddr. Its not necessarily a bad thing at all. I have ddr pc3200, my friends do alot of people do... Its not really about what specs the memory has. Its more about how much you have.

For example most dual xeon computers have pc2100 or pc2700 but the processors on them are really fast. They just have the expandablilty for a butt load of memory.

Pc 3200 ddr memory is pretty much the standard memory speed. Dont get anything slower of course. Your fine sticking with pc 3200.

Yeah on newegg they were working on their site. The xms series is more for gamers and overclockers in mind. They have lower timings which is better for gamers.

The valueselect by Corsair is fine if you dont plan on overclocking. Its not a cheap memory from corsair. Other manufacturers with the value name are cheapo. The corsair memory is the #1 leader in memory. The value select by corsair is rated very very high even higher than some other companies overclocking memory for example.

Get whatever size of harddrive you want, the 250 gig will be nice to have and you dont have to worry about running out of space if your an average user. Get serial ata of course. (sata)

****Remember, amd boards are not compatable with DDR2 memory. They dont make amd boards with DDR2 compatability!!!!****

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Also on the CPU get the 3700+ instead, its slower but its rated only a little less and it has alot of overclockability on it whereas the 3800+ is nearing its max speed the 3700+ is at its slowest on that core, it also has double the L2 cache and a few other features over the venice that games like better.

DeathOutdone

DeathOutdone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
Okay I will remember that DDR2 isnt compatible wiht AMD motherboards. I won't overclock and don't know how so I think i'll stick with 3700, a SATA 250-260 gig hard drive which I will find on newegg, and the same corsair i was gonna get since its good value and i cant find hte XMS. Ill stick with PC3200.

I am glad we figured that part of it out together- one more question- I am thinking of getting the Athlon X2 (Dual-core) 3800 isntead of the just plain old 64...should I do that, or is it not worth it..i mean dont dual cores run twice as many things at once? It seems like it would be a good idea to get it...what do u think?

however, here is the rest of what I am not sure what to get:

- Floppy, DVD, and CD Drive
- PSU (what type, if the one that coems with the case is sucky)
-Case - what type, brand, how big, etc
-Soundcard, speakers, monitor (need a very tall monitor with 19 inch or bigger screen preferably LCD)
-Ergonomic (comfortable and at the right height level) Chair and desk to play on, and tips on how to make it ergonomic so my posture stays good while Im playing, cause usually i hunch over and that is Bad for my back..and neck..
-Case for my games -holder thingy
-Lamp with good quality lighting
-Mouse, Keyboard

Lastly, once we figure all this out, I need tips on how to assemble the comp, or sites that I can buy custom parts from that will assemble it For Me...I either want soemone to build it, or assemble myself.

Thanks for the help so far :tazz:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
The dual core x2's are future proof and I herd that they have a few problems in certain games but nothing a patch cant fix.

Id probably go for the dual core.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Not a big problem at all.

Only for a few certain games.

http://forumz.tomsha...pict170704.html

You just restrict them to one core if you have any problems with a game.

Edited by jrm20, 15 January 2006 - 04:14 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah the games that have had problems are few there are as many games that have an advantage with it, with the dual core there will be a lul where performance wont be as good as you think as software is still single core orientated but most of the new software coming out this year will be dual core compatible and Vista is coming with its proper dual core compatibililty so after that you will see an advantage in dual core, get the dual core if you want the pc to last a bit longer.

DeathOutdone

DeathOutdone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
Allright, I think I will go with the Dual Core- It wont' negatively affect any of the Westwood line games will it? I play a lot of RTS, command and conquer generals, Warcraft 3, Red Alert 2, and such types of games...it wont affect those will it?

Oh yeah i still need your help figuring out the things i listed in the last post if u would be so kind :tazz:

Edited by DeathOutdone, 16 January 2006 - 12:45 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah thos games are all pretty old now it can handle them and then some.

Well, im gonna leave your furniture to you, funnily enough im not to into interior design. A good chair and a 35 squid ikea desk is what i use and it does me fine. You could always get a lina li desk if you want to be swanky. Case antec, coolermaste, akasa and thermaltake make the best cases. PSU anything antec, seasonic enermax etc etc. as long as its quality and has enough juice your looking roughly 500W.

Floppies are all the same 4 quid down the shop or in with the rest of your order come in all shapes and sizes, if you want they make them with built in card readers as well. A dvd drive is about the same for most of them 40 quid and writes all the formats is what you are looking for, i like the LG ones but they dont sell the exact model i have in the us which is a shame since its one of the best on the market for the price.

Souncard x-fi are the best then its one of the audigy twos, but you get onboard sound which some people winge about but i cant tell much between a 100 quid card and the onboard these days, x-fi you notice a difference apparently but i dont know anybody that was willing to fork out that much money for sound.

I keep most of my games on my hard drive and stick the boxes in the bottom of my cupboard as they come in all shapes and sizes so no holder fits them all, for disks i have a 5 quid CD wallet thats all you need.

Mouse and keyboard an MS wireless one is what i use at the moment but you get good ones, im thinking of getting a nice mouse when im less skint probably a diamondback or a copperhead but a keyboard is a keyboard to me. z-boards look ok as i like a simple keyboard but when i fancy a change i use the apple keyboard i have as its the only thing from a mac i like it has a nice feel when gaming and its small with the usb hub in it as well so the mouse can go straight in to it.

Get whatever you want for a lamp, lol, a lamp lol, what a guy, asking about furniture, i thought you were kidding at first.

DeathOutdone

DeathOutdone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
I'm actually not kidding about the furniture and lamp believe it or not.

I just wanna make sure that I can have a good height desk, chair and lamp so I dont hunch over and get bad posture.

What kind of lamp do you think I should get?

Oh, and for this hard drive, is Samsung a good brand? What do you think of this specific model?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822152025

Good pick or not?

Edited by DeathOutdone, 16 January 2006 - 01:05 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The samsung drives are among the best, and they make the fastest 7200rpm dirve on the market i was reading one of the comments about the drive being faster than a rapotr the guy is totally correct they are, over here the specific drive thats very fast is the spinpoint P120 but they might use a differnt numbering for the US, the P120 beat the raptor in game load times by 10 seconds in some cases or more(far cry was one worth mentioning and it has quite long load times ) whihc is very impressive and considering the dirves are cheaper and almost twice the size of the largest raptor they are a real no brainer. Although i think the p120 is a sata II drive so maybe you should see if you can find the sata II version of the drive.

Edited by warriorscot, 16 January 2006 - 01:35 PM.